Know when wage payments should be classified as supplemental and the applicable withholding rules that apply.
On January 1, 2020, the overtime regulations put in place by the United States Department of Labor (U.S. DOL) allowed employers to use nondiscretionary bonuses and incentive payments (including commissions) to satisfy up to 10% of the new required exempt salary level of $684 per week (or $35,568 per year for a full-year worker). That is one example of the many ways supplemental wages can be an excellent resource for employers to incentivize employees as well as augment their wages. If managed correctly, supplemental wages, as part of a total compensation package, can be an effective talent recruiting, staff retaining, and marketing tool. As with all human capital management, an appreciated and valued employee is a happy employee. Happy employees provide better service to clients. Better serviced clients stay clients.
Tricia Richardson, CPP, SPHR, SHRM-SCP
Purposed Payroll Professional
- President, Purposed Payroll Professional
- Human capital management consultant that focuses on payroll and human resources best practices and regulatory compliance audits
- Conducts regular webinars on all topics related to human capital management and payroll processes, regulatory compliance, and best practices
- Regular contributor to Paytech Magazine
- National speaker for the American Payroll Association, Payroll Certification Study Group Leader, and Human Resource Certification Study Group Leader
- Bachelor of Science in Management Studies, minor in psychology, University of Maryland University College
- Can be contacted at [email protected]
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.