Gain an understanding of the accounting and tax rules which create differences in real estate expenses.
U.S. accounting and tax rules are not always the same for reporting real estate development costs. In some cases, real estate costs have different methods due to construction and production periods. The timing of costs makes it difficult to categorize costs as capital expenditures or operating expenses. For tax purposes, the TCJA has added additional rules for small businesses that simplify some cost issues. However, recent tangible property regulations continue to add more issues for real estate businesses. This topic will provide you with an overview of the current treatment of real estate issues for businesses, including reconciling the capitalization of costs for book and tax income and expenses. The range of topics will include definitions and terms for accounting purposes, tax elections and methods, planning for the tangible property rules, and updating real estate businesses for the impact of TCJA rules.
Thomas M. Kosinski, C.P.A., M.S.T.
Ostrow Reisin Berk & Abrams, Ltd.
- Director of the tax practice of Ostrow Reisin Berk & Abrams, Ltd. (ORBA)
- Frequent speaker with the Illinois CPA Society covering federal tax updates, IRS representation, individual and corporate tax compliance, and income tax strategies for business transactions
- Offers more than 25 years of experience providing tax planning and technical advice for individuals and the owners of closely held companies
- Provides specialized tax planning services to clients, which include high-net-worth individuals and business entrepreneurs
- Member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) and Illinois CPA Society and former president of Chicago South Chapter
- M.S. degree in taxation and B.S. degree in accounting, summa cum laude, DePaul University
- Can be contacted at [email protected] or 312-670-7444
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.