Learn about the basic techniques and methods of commercial real estate appraisals.
Ever heard the war story where an attorney receives an appraisal report at the eleventh hour, only to find that some critical element of the opinion does not match the particulars of his case? Or the appraiser's war story where they were provided with an effective date of value, and later had to re-do the appraisal on a holiday weekend because the client realized that he had specified the wrong date? When appraisers and their clients do not share an accurate understanding of the elements of the assignment, the opportunity for negative outcomes increases. This topic will provide a brief overview of commercial real estate fundamentals, and the basic techniques and methods available to appraisers. This basic information will then be applied to the many variables inherent in the appraisal contracting process. With an understanding of these variables, you will learn to accurately convey the appraisal problem and reach solid agreement with the appraiser on the assignment conditions necessary for a relevant and credible appraisal opinion. Use of the techniques presented in this information will help you to save time and money by avoiding common mistakes which may occur when ordering an appraisal.
More Program Information
Introduction: Using Commercial Real Estate Appraisal Fundamentals to Successfully Contract for Appraisal Services
- The Appraisal Opinion Is Only Useful If It Addresses the Correct Appraisal Problem
- Teamwork Is Required to Define the Appraisal Problem
- An Appropriate Scope of Work Is the Road Map for Solving the Appraisal Problem
Understanding the Subject Property
- Commercial Land
- Improved Commercial Properties
Appraisal Basics for Commercial Real Estate
- The Three Approaches to Value
- Interest to Be Appraised
- Type of Value to Be Appraised
- Effective Date of Value
- Reporting Options
Defining the Scope of Work
- What Is the Appraisal Problem to Be Solved?
- Assignment Conditions
- Additional Information Which May Be Required
Strategies for Successfully Contracting for Valuation Services
- Gathering the Data Necessary to Identify the Problem to Be Solved
- Matching the Appraiser to the Assignment
- Accurately Defining the Appraisal Problem
- Agreeing Upon the Appropriate Scope of Work
- Agreeing Upon the Level of Detail Required
- Phasing the Assignment
- Preparing a Well-Written Engagement Agreement
More Program Information
This course was last revised on March 31, 2020.
Call 1-866-352-9540 for further credit information.
- AR CLE 1.5
- This course has been approved for 1.5 hours of CLE by the Arkansas CLE Board.
- Arizona CLE 1.5
- The Arizona State Bar does not pre-approve or pre-certify MCLE programs. However, records of this program and attendance will be maintained by Lorman Education Services for auditing purposes. This activity may qualify for up to 1.5 hours toward your annual CLE requirement for the State Bar of Arizona.
- CA MCLE 1.5
- Lorman Business Center, LLC. is a State Bar of California approved MCLE sponsor and this course qualifies for 1.5 CLE hours of participatory credit.
- HI CLE 1.25
- This program was approved by the Hawaii State Board of Continuing Legal Education for 1.25 CLE credit hours.
- IL CLE 1.25
- This course was approved for a total of 1.25 hours of MCLE Credit by the Illinois MCLE Board.
- ME CLE 1.0
- This course has been approved by the State of Maine Board of Overseers of the Bar. Lawyers who complete this course shall receive 1.0 hours of CLE credit under M. Bar R. 12.
- NH MCLE 1.5
- NH MCLE does not approve or accredit CLE activities for the NH Minimum CLE requirement. Lorman Education Services believes this Ondemand course meets the requirement of NH Supreme Court Rule 53 and may qualify for CLE credit(s). Program Length: 88 Minutes.
- PA CLE 1.0
- This Distance Learning program has been approved by the Pennsylvania Continuing Legal Education Board for 1.0 hours of substantive law, practice and procedure CLE credit.
- RI CLE 1.5
- This program has been approved by the Rhode Island Mandatory Continuing Legal Education Commission for 1.5 hours of CLE credit.
- VT CLE 1.5
- This self-study program has been approved by the Mandatory Continuing Legal Education Board of Vermont for 1.5 hour(s) of CLE credit. Please note: Attorneys may only claim 6 credits per compliance period in this format. This course is considered "Non-Moderated Programming without Interactivity".
- WA CLE 1.5
- This program has been approved by the Washington State Board of Continuing Legal Education for 1.5 hours of A/V credit under the Law & Legal Procedure category.
- WV MCLE 1.8
- This program has been approved by the West Virginia State Bar MCLE Commission for 1.8 MCLE hours.
To earn each credit Lorman offers through the OnDemand learning platform, you need to watch 100% of the program. Also, for certain credits you will need to fulfill additional requirements which will be displayed on the "credits" tab when viewing the course.
This program does NOT qualify, nor meet the National Standard for NASBA accreditation.
More Program Information
Shawn E. Wilson, MAI
Compass Real Estate Consulting, Inc.
- The owner of Compass Real Estate Consulting, Inc., in Lakeland, Florida
- 32 years of eminent domain and litigation–related appraisal experience, and has authored articles, presentations, and seminars on a variety of valuation topics
- Contributing author to the Appraisal Institute textbook, Applications in Litigation Valuation: A Pragmatist’s Guide, and her professional articles have been published in The Appraisal Journal (Appraisal Institute), and Right-of-Way Magazine (IRWA)
- Has authored seminars and presentations on valuation topics, including a litigation appraisal course for the Appraisal Institute in 1995
- Has been a presenter at national conferences for the Appraisal Institute, the International Right-of-Way Association, and the International Association of Assessing Officers (IAAO)
- Served as an instructor throughout the United States for education providers such as the Appraisal Institute, Lorman Continuing Legal Education, CLE Continuing Legal Education, American Law Institute CLE, the International Right-of-Way Association, and the Association of Eminent Domain Professionals
- Has been qualified and has presented testimony as an expert witness in numerous jurisdictions, and has been appointed as a special magistrate to hear ad valorem tax appeals in several Florida counties
- Areas of specialty include analysis of contributory value, and diminution in value related to stigma, NIMBYs, landfills, and other causes
- State-certified General Real Estate Appraiser in Florida, Tennessee, and the island of Guam
- Has been an MAI member of the Appraisal Institute since 1993, and served in a variety of elected positions, including five years on the National Board of Directors
- Served on the Appraisal Practices Board of The Appraisal Foundation from July 2014 to September 2017, including one year as APB vice-chair and one year as APB chair
- Member of the International Right-of-Way association, and is a past president of the Association of Eminent Domain Professionals
- Has also been an AQB certified USPAP instructor since April 2018
- Can be contacted at at www.ShawnWilson.com
More Program Information
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.
Access to all training products for one year
Unlimited Lorman Training
With the All-Access Pass there is no guessing what you will need for your yearly training budget. $699 will cover all of your training needs for an entire year!
Once you purchase your All-Access Pass you will never be any further than one-click away from attending any Lorman training course.
Invest in Yourself
You haven't gotten to where you are professionally by luck alone; it's taken a lot of hard work and training. Invest in yourself with the All-Access Pass.