Properly handle international work/student visas within payroll and ensure compliance.
The United States Citizenship and Immigration Service has made several updates in regards to international work visas and how employers handle them, from the Form I-9 and E-Verify to employment eligibility. This topic will provide you with all the of recent updates that went into effect in early 2017 and how they have changed up to 2019 updates and will review best practices on how to implement those changes. The difference between employment law concerns and payroll taxation will be reviewed as well. This material will give you everything you need to know to make sure you are compliant and how to properly handle an employee that is on an international work/student visa.
- You will be able to review the changes to H-1B visa holders along with new grace periods.
- You will be able to discuss the visa process and what documentation employers should have on file.
- You will be able to recognize the details around the differences of understanding employment requirements versus taxation requirements.
- You will be able to identify how to properly tax an employee based on being a resident alien or nonresident alien.
More Program Information
Understanding Immigrant Visas
Types of Non-Work Visa
Types of Work Visa
USCIS Updates to Visas in 2017 and Beyond
Types of Student Visa
Nonresident Alien Taxation
Resident Alien Taxation
More Program Information
This course was last revised on January 30, 2020.
Call 1-866-352-9540 for further credit information.
- AIPB 1.0
- This program is acceptable for 1.0 CPEC(s) towards the CB designation through the American Institute of Professional Bookkeepers (AIPB).
- Lorman Education Services is an approved provider through the American Payroll Association. This seminar is approved for 1.0 RCHs.
PLEASE NOTE: To receive credit through the American Payroll Association for this program you MUST attend the program in its entirety, complete all progress checks and pass the final exam. You cannot obtain credit if you have already completed this course in its live version.
- HR Certification Institute 1.5 including Global 1.5
- This E-Learning program has been approved for 1.5 ( Global for 1.50 hours ) recertification credit hours toward aPHR(TM), aPHRi(TM), PHR®, PHRca®, SPHR®, GPHR®, PHRi(TM) and SPHRi(TM)recertification through HR Certification Institute® (HRCI®). For more information about certification or recertification, please visit the HR Certification Institute website at www.hrci.org.
- SHRM 1.25
- Lorman Education Services is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CPSM or SHRM-SCPSM. This program is valid for 1.25 PDC(s) for the SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP.
To earn each credit Lorman offers through the OnDemand learning platform, you need to watch 100% of the program. Also, for certain credits you will need to fulfill additional requirements which will be displayed on the "credits" tab when viewing the course.
- Those applying for AIA and HRCI must view 100% of the program and answer the questions following the program.
This program does NOT qualify, nor meet the National Standard for NASBA accreditation.
Live Webinar Registration
- AIPB 1.5
- This program is acceptable for 1.5 CPEC(s) towards the CB designation through the American Institute of Professional Bookkeepers (AIPB).
- CPP/FPC (Pending)
- This seminar has been submitted to APA for RCH approval.
PLEASE NOTE: To receive credit through the American Payroll Association if approved, you MUST use the streaming option and enable (and complete) the required progress checks.
- HR Certification Institute 1.5
- This program has been approved for 1.5 (General) recertification credit hours toward aPHR(TM), aPHRi(TM), PHR®, PHRca®, SPHR®, GPHR®, PHRi(TM) and SPHRi(TM)recertification through HR Certification Institute® (HRCI®). For more information about certification or recertification, please visit the HR Certification Institute website at www.hrci.org.
- SHRM 1.5
- Lorman Education Services is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CPSM or SHRM-SCPSM. This program is valid for 1.5 PDC(s) for the SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP.
- CPE 1.8 including Personnel/HR 1.8
- Lorman Education Services is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its web site: www.nasbaregistry.org. For more information regarding administrative policies such as complaint and refund, please contact our offices at 866-352-9539. CPE Credit: Maximum Credit Hours: 1.8 each session (based on a 50 minute credit hour). You must attend at least 50 minutes to obtain credit. Field of Study: Personnel/HR for 1.8 hours. Prerequisite: basic knowledge of processing payroll. Level of Knowledge: Intermediate. Teaching Method: Seminar/Lecture. Advance Preparation: None. Delivery Method: Group Internet Based. Please refer to the information in this brochure for outline, course content and objectives. Upon completion of this course, you will receive a certificate of attendance. Final approval of a course for CPE credit belongs with each state's regulatory board.
Please note: In order to receive CPE credit for this course you MUST use the streaming audio option, as well as enable and complete the required progress checks.
Who should attend?
This live webinar is designed for human resource managers, payroll managers, benefit administrators, accountants, CFOs, controllers, business and office managers, presidents, vice presidents, bookkeepers, and owners.
More Program Information
Dayna J. Reum, CPP, FPC
Dayna J. Reum
- Currently the director of payroll operations at a major medical center in Chicago
- Has been heavily involved in the payroll field for more than 17 years
- Starting as a payroll clerk at a small Tucson company, she moved on to be a payroll team leader at Honeywell Inc.
- During her time at Honeywell Inc. she obtained her FPC (Fundamental Payroll Certification) through the American Payroll Association
- Received several merit awards for customer service and acquisitions, and divestiture
- Taught at the Metro Phoenix American Payroll Association meetings and at the Arizona State Payroll Conference
- CPP (Certified Payroll Professional) through the APA
- Serves on the National American Payroll Association on the National Strategic Leadership Task Force, Government Affairs Task Force (PA local tax subcommittee)
- Received a citation of merit for her service along with being a gold pin member of the APA
- Certified in HR hiring and firing practices and is a Six-Sigma Greenbelt
More Program Information
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- OnDemand Courses
- Live Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.
Access to all training products for one year
Unlimited Lorman Training
With the All-Access Pass there is no guessing what you will need for your yearly training budget. $699 will cover all of your training needs for an entire year!
Once you purchase your All-Access Pass you will never be any further than one-click away from attending any Lorman training course.
Invest in Yourself
You haven't gotten to where you are professionally by luck alone; it's taken a lot of hard work and training. Invest in yourself with the All-Access Pass.