Gain a better understanding of the lapse period filing requirements and associated planning steps.
Tax-exempt organizations sometime lose their tax-exemption. The impact of the loss of tax-exemption can have severe consequences for the organization's finances and potentially can adversely affect its contractual relationships and its status with government regulators. This topic will address the lapse period filing requirements and associated planning steps. The material explains the four avenues for reinstating federal exemption which set forth in Revenue Procedure 2014-11 starting with the streamlined retroactive reinstatement using Form 1023-EZ. It will also include the retroactive reinstatement within the 15 month window (of certain critical dates) and after the 15 month window and explores the requirements for the required Reasonable Cause Statements. Finally, it will introduce prospective reinstatement of federal exemption.
More Program Information
Loss of Federal Tax-Exempt Status
- Common Causes
- Automatic Loss of Exemption
- Revocation in Error
Impact of Revocation
- Actions During Lapse Period
- Filing Requirements
Proc 2014-11 Procedures
- Federal Reinstatement: Critical Dates
- Streamlined Retroactive Reinstatement
- IRS Form 1023-EZ and Eligibility
- Retroactive Reinstatement Within 15 Months
- Reasonable Cause Statements
- Retroactive Reinstatement After 15 Months
- Prospective Reinstatement
More Program Information
This course was last revised on October 4, 2019.
Call 1-866-352-9540 for further credit information.
- AK CLE 1.5
- Alaska attorneys may receive 1.5 hours of continuing legal education for completing this program. Please contact the Alaska Bar Association or go to www.alaskabar.org for details regarding reciprocity with other states.
- AL CLE 1.5
- This course or a portion thereof has been approved by the Alabama State Mandatory Continuing Legal Education Commission for a maximum of 1.5 hours credit.
- Arizona CLE 1.5
- The Arizona State Bar does not pre-approve or pre-certify MCLE programs. However, records of this program and attendance will be maintained by Lorman Education Services for auditing purposes. This activity may qualify for up to 1.5 hours toward your annual CLE requirement for the State Bar of Arizona.
- CO CLE 2.0
- Lorman Education Services is a Certified Provider, as recognized by the Colorado Supreme Court Continuing Legal and Judicial Education Committee. This program is approved for 2.0 credit hours.
- CT CLE 1.0
- Neither the Connecticut Judicial Branch nor the Commission on Minimum Continuing Legal Education approve or accredit CLE providers or activities. This course has been approved for CLE credit in jurisdictions aside from CT and therefore it automatically meets the content and delivery requirements in Connecticut. Credit is based on a 60 minute credit hour and shall be awarded as follows: 1.0 CLE credit(s).
- HI CLE 1.25
- This program was approved by the Hawaii State Board of Continuing Legal Education for 1.25 CLE credit hours.
- IL CLE 1.25
- This course was approved for a total of 1.25 hours of MCLE Credit by the Illinois MCLE Board.
- ME CLE 1.0
- This course has been approved by the State of Maine Board of Overseers of the Bar. Lawyers who complete this course shall receive 1.0 hours of CLE credit under M. Bar R. 12.
- MN CLE 1.25
- This program has been approved by the Minnesota Board of Continuing Legal Education for 1.25 hours of credit.
- MO CLE 1.8
- This course qualifies for self-study CLE credit in Missouri.
- MT CLE 1.5
- This program has been approved by the Montana Commission of Continuing Legal Education for a total of 1.5 CLE credits.
- ND CLE 1.5
- North Dakota CLE policy does not allow for pre-approval of any self-study courses. This course may qualify for up to 1.5 hours of CLE credit.
- NH MCLE 1.5
- NH MCLE does not approve or accredit CLE activities for the NH Minimum CLE requirement. Lorman Education Services believes this Ondemand course meets the requirement of NH Supreme Court Rule 53 and may qualify for CLE credit(s). Program Length: 88 Minutes.
- NM CLE 1.5
- This program has been approved by the New Mexico Minimum Continuing Legal Education Board for 1.5 hours of credit.
- NY CLE 1.5 including Areas of Professional Practice 1.5
- This course has been approved in accordance with the requirements of the New York Continuing Legal Education Board for up to a maximum of 1.5 credit hours in the area(s) of Areas of Professional Practice for 1.50 hours. Each hour may be counted only as satisfying one category of credit. Duplicate credit for the same hour of instruction is not permitted. This course qualifies for both established and newly admitted attorneys. Lorman Business Center, LLC. has a financial hardship guideline. Please contact customer service at 1.866.352.9539 for instructions on how to apply.
- PA CLE 1.0
- This Distance Learning program has been approved by the Pennsylvania Continuing Legal Education Board for 1.0 hours of substantive law, practice and procedure CLE credit.
- RI CLE 1.5
- This program has been approved by the Rhode Island Mandatory Continuing Legal Education Commission for 1.5 hours of CLE credit.
- UT CLE 1.5
- This program has been approved by the Utah State Board of Continuing Legal Education for 1.5 CLE hours.
- VA CLE 1.5
- This program has been approved by the Virginia Mandatory Continuing Legal Education Board for 1.5 CLE credit hours.
- VT CLE 1.5
- This self-study program has been approved by the Mandatory Continuing Legal Education Board of Vermont for 1.5 hour(s) of CLE credit. Please note: Attorneys may only claim 6 credits per compliance period in this format. This course is considered "Non-Moderated Programming without Interactivity".
- WA CLE 1.5
- This program has been approved by the Washington State Board of Continuing Legal Education for 1.5 hours of A/V credit under the Law & Legal Procedure category.
- WV MCLE 1.8
- This program has been approved by the West Virginia State Bar MCLE Commission for 1.8 MCLE hours.
To earn each credit Lorman offers through the OnDemand learning platform, you need to watch 100% of the program. Also, for certain credits you will need to fulfill additional requirements which will be displayed on the "credits" tab when viewing the course.
Virginia MCLE requirements do not allow approval for programs that do not include an audio or audiovisual component.
This program was previously offered as a live webinar. Virginia MCLE requirements do not allow approval for attendance at duplicate programs.
This program does NOT qualify, nor meet the National Standard for NASBA accreditation.
More Program Information
Louis E. Michelson, Esq.
Louis E. Michelson, A Professional Corporation
- Principal with Law Offices of Louis E. Michelson, A Professional Corporation
- Practice focuses on planning, charitable giving and other federal, state and local taxation issues for tax-exempt organizations
- He advises public charities, private foundations, religious and educational organizations, and other nonprofit organizations on issues of formation, management, joint ventures, planned giving and board governance
- Speaks regularly on nonprofit and tax exemption legal matters
- Lecturer at UCLA Extension on tax issues for nonprofit organizations
- Immediate past chair of the Nonprofit Organizations Committee of the Business Law Section of the California Lawyers Association
- J.D. degree, UCLA School of Law; M.S. degree in accountancy, DePaul University; B.A. Degree, with general honors, University of Chicago
- Can be contacted at 310-843-0700 or [email protected]
More Program Information
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.
Access to all training products for one year
Unlimited Lorman Training
With the All-Access Pass there is no guessing what you will need for your yearly training budget. $699 will cover all of your training needs for an entire year!
Once you purchase your All-Access Pass you will never be any further than one-click away from attending any Lorman training course.
Invest in Yourself
You haven't gotten to where you are professionally by luck alone; it's taken a lot of hard work and training. Invest in yourself with the All-Access Pass.