Understand how and why a class action is started and learn how to defend against this type of action.
Few things frighten business leaders more than the words class action. All lawsuits create headaches and are expensive. Class actions, however, truly are in a class by themselves. From exponentially increased expenses, to correspondingly severe penalties, a class action can lay waste to a company's finances and topple its leadership. This topic will explore the mechanics of class actions in the employment context to demonstrate what the target company will face once it reaches the courthouse, and with an eye toward practical solutions that should help steer the target company into the best possible footing to defend against the claim.
More Program Information
What Are the Requirements for Creating a Class?
- Timeline of Typical Events in a Class Action Case
- The Requirements to Certify a Class
Defending Against a Class Action
- Actions to Take Upon Learning of a Class Action
- Options for Opposing Class Certification
- Class Action Discovery
Settling Class Actions
More Program Information
This course was last revised on February 12, 2020.
Call 1-866-352-9540 for further credit information.
- AK CLE 1.5
- Alaska attorneys may receive 1.5 hours of continuing legal education for completing this program. Please contact the Alaska Bar Association or go to www.alaskabar.org for details regarding reciprocity with other states.
- AL CLE 1.5
- This course or a portion thereof has been approved by the Alabama State Mandatory Continuing Legal Education Commission for a maximum of 1.5 hours credit.
- AR CLE 1.5
- This course has been approved for 1.5 hours of CLE by the Arkansas CLE Board.
- Arizona CLE 1.5
- The Arizona State Bar does not pre-approve or pre-certify MCLE programs. However, records of this program and attendance will be maintained by Lorman Education Services for auditing purposes. This activity may qualify for up to 1.5 hours toward your annual CLE requirement for the State Bar of Arizona.
- CA MCLE 1.5
- Lorman Business Center, LLC. is a State Bar of California approved MCLE sponsor and this course qualifies for 1.5 CLE hours of participatory credit.
- CO CLE 2.0
- Lorman Education Services is a Certified Provider, as recognized by the Colorado Supreme Court Continuing Legal and Judicial Education Committee. This program is approved for 2.0 credit hours.
- CT CLE 1.0
- Neither the Connecticut Judicial Branch nor the Commission on Minimum Continuing Legal Education approve or accredit CLE providers or activities. This course has been approved for CLE credit in jurisdictions aside from CT and therefore it automatically meets the content and delivery requirements in Connecticut. Credit is based on a 60 minute credit hour and shall be awarded as follows: 1.0 CLE credit(s).
- HI CLE 1.25
- This program was approved by the Hawaii State Board of Continuing Legal Education for 1.25 CLE credit hours.
- IL CLE 1.25
- This course was approved for a total of 1.25 hours of MCLE Credit by the Illinois MCLE Board.
- ME CLE 1.0
- This course has been approved by the State of Maine Board of Overseers of the Bar. Lawyers who complete this course shall receive 1.0 hours of CLE credit under M. Bar R. 5.
- MN CLE 1.25
- This program has been approved by the Minnesota Board of Continuing Legal Education for 1.25 hours of credit.
- MO CLE 1.8
- This course qualifies for self-study CLE credit in Missouri.
- MT CLE 1.5
- This program has been approved by the Montana Commission of Continuing Legal Education for a total of 1.5 CLE credits.
- NC CLE 1.25
- This program has been approved by the North Carolina State Bar Board of Continuing Legal Education for 1.25 CLE hours.
- ND CLE 1.5
- North Dakota CLE policy does not allow for pre-approval of any self-study courses. This course may qualify for up to 1.5 hours of CLE credit.
- NH MCLE 1.5
- NH MCLE does not approve or accredit CLE activities for the NH Minimum CLE requirement. Lorman Education Services believes this Ondemand course meets the requirement of NH Supreme Court Rule 53 and may qualify for CLE credit(s). Program Length: 88 Minutes.
- NM CLE 1.5
- This program has been approved by the New Mexico Minimum Continuing Legal Education Board for 1.5 hours of credit.
- NY CLE 1.5 including Areas of Professional Practice 1.5
- This course has been approved in accordance with the requirements of the New York Continuing Legal Education Board for up to a maximum of 1.5 credit hours in the area(s) of Areas of Professional Practice for 1.50 hours. Each hour may be counted only as satisfying one category of credit. Duplicate credit for the same hour of instruction is not permitted. This course qualifies for both established and newly admitted attorneys. Lorman Business Center, LLC. has a financial hardship guideline. Please contact customer service at 1.866.352.9539 for instructions on how to apply.
- OH CLE 1.5
- This course has been approved by the Ohio Supreme Court Commission on Continuing Legal Education for 1.5 CLE credit hours. Please note: No more than twelve (12) hours of self-study CLE credit for any biennial reporting period may be earned by an Attorney or Judge under Regulation 409.2. To fulfill CLE requirements for self-study, web-based programs, you must complete 100% of the polling questions during the program. Your hours will be filed electronically within thirty (30) business days by Lorman Education Services provided you fulfilled 100% attendance and polling questions answered.
- OR CLE 1.5
- Approved for 1.5 CLE credits in Oregon.
- PA CLE 1.0
- This Distance Learning program has been approved by the Pennsylvania Continuing Legal Education Board for 1.0 hours of substantive law, practice and procedure CLE credit.
- RI CLE 1.5
- This program has been approved by the Rhode Island Mandatory Continuing Legal Education Commission for 1.5 hours of CLE credit.
- UT CLE 1.5
- This program has been approved by the Utah State Board of Continuing Legal Education for 1.5 CLE hours.
- VA CLE 1.5
- This program has been approved by the Virginia Mandatory Continuing Legal Education Board for 1.5 CLE credit hours.
- VT CLE 1.5
- This self-study program has been approved by the Mandatory Continuing Legal Education Board of Vermont for 1.5 hour(s) of CLE credit. Please note: Attorneys may only claim 6 credits per compliance period in this format. This course is considered "Non-Moderated Programming without Interactivity".
- WA CLE 1.5
- This program has been approved by the Washington State Board of Continuing Legal Education for 1.5 hours of A/V credit under the Law & Legal Procedure category.
- WV MCLE 1.8
- This program has been approved by the West Virginia State Bar MCLE Commission for 1.8 MCLE hours.
- HR Certification Institute 1.5
- This E-Learning program has been approved for 1.5 (General) recertification credit hours toward aPHR(TM), aPHRi(TM), PHR®, PHRca®, SPHR®, GPHR®, PHRi(TM) and SPHRi(TM)recertification through HR Certification Institute® (HRCI®). For more information about certification or recertification, please visit the HR Certification Institute website at www.hrci.org.
- SHRM 1.25
- Lorman Education Services is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CPSM or SHRM-SCPSM. This program is valid for 1.25 PDC(s) for the SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP.
To earn each credit Lorman offers through the OnDemand learning platform, you need to watch 100% of the program. Also, for certain credits you will need to fulfill additional requirements which will be displayed on the "credits" tab when viewing the course.
- Those applying for AIA and HRCI must view 100% of the program and answer the questions following the program.
Virginia MCLE requirements do not allow approval for programs that do not include an audio or audiovisual component.
This program was previously offered as a live webinar. Virginia MCLE requirements do not allow approval for attendance at duplicate programs.
This program does NOT qualify, nor meet the National Standard for NASBA accreditation.
More Program Information
Hannesson I. Murphy
Barnes & Thornburg LLP
- Partner in Barnes & Thornburg LLP’s Indianapolis, Indiana office and a member of the firm’s Labor and Employment Law Department
- Represents employers in virtually all aspects of the employment relationship with their employees, including counseling employers with respect to the hiring, discipline and separation of employees, and if necessary, the representation of employers in connection with litigated disputes
- Represented employers in a wide variety of matters before state and federal courts, administrative agencies, and in arbitration, including individual and class or collective action claims relating to issues such as discrimination, harassment or wrongful discharge, alleged violations of the terms and conditions of employment, unemployment claims, wage and hour claims, and litigation concerning noncompetition and nonsolicitation agreements
- Active in the legal community and recently served as the chair of the Employment Law Section of the Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana
- Admitted to practice in Indiana, Florida, the District of Columbia, the U.S. Supreme Court, the Seventh and Eleventh Circuit Courts of Appeal, and all U.S. District Courts for Indiana and Florida
- B.A. degree in international relations, cum laude, Florida International University; J.D. degree, cum laude, Miami School of Law
More Program Information
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- OnDemand Courses
- Live Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.
Access to all training products for one year
Unlimited Lorman Training
With the All-Access Pass there is no guessing what you will need for your yearly training budget. $699 will cover all of your training needs for an entire year!
Once you purchase your All-Access Pass you will never be any further than one-click away from attending any Lorman training course.
Invest in Yourself
You haven't gotten to where you are professionally by luck alone; it's taken a lot of hard work and training. Invest in yourself with the All-Access Pass.