Gain an understanding of how to handle the ethical issues that can arise in a joint representation.
This topic helps lawyers understand when and how joint representation can greatly advantage clients, and the ethical obligations that accompany undertaking joint representations. The material explains how to address conflicts of interest, including how to make adequate disclosures to ensure that the client consent to joint representation is enforceable, and to avoid the potential for disqualification. In addition, failing to understand the issues that arise around lawyer-client communications in the joint representation context can create myriad issues for lawyers; this topic will assist lawyers in understanding their duties and obligations as they relate to confidential communications with and between joint clients. This information is critical for lawyers who regularly represent multiple clients simultaneously, to ensure that the lawyer complies with all applicable ethical obligations.
Lorman Education Services Offers Comprehensive Joint Representation Legal Training
Maintaining the confidentiality of all parties involved in the legal matters poses a significant challenge. Conflicts of interest may also arise in these situations. Attorneys need effective, relevant joint representations legal training to help them avoid the possibility of ethical breaches that could jeopardize the outcome of a case.
This course covers specific joint representation ethical issues such as determining who is and who is not a client, addressing conflicts, the need for confidentiality and how to maintain it, and understanding and protecting communications.
Save Time With Convenient On-demand Joint Representation Legal Training
Busy attorneys often have difficulty finding the time to participate in training activities. With our on-demand training program, you can stay abreast of the latest developments in joint representation ethics from the comfort of your office, whenever your schedule allows. This program is available as an archived online presentation with audio and slideshow, which you can access on a 24/7 basis. Other options include an audio & reference manual featuring PDF and MP3 files delivered on a USB flash drive, as well as a downloadable MP3 audio recording of the program.
Satisfy All of Your Ongoing Training Requirements With an All-Access Pass
Ongoing training is essential for professionals in just about every line of work these days. The Lorman All-Access Pass gives you around-the-clock access to numerous training resources such as live virtual presentations, on-demand programs, course manuals, whitepapers and articles. Pay one set price and get unlimited training for an entire year. Use the state-specific credit tracker to monitor your progress in fulfilling your continuing education requirements and read the members-only newsletter to stay informed on the latest developments in joint representation ethics and other pertinent topics.
Why Choose Lorman for Your Joint Representations Legal Training?
Lorman Education Services offers more than 28 years of experience in helping professionals in a wide range of industries meet their continuing education and training requirements. Our more than 1.4 million customers know that our programs provide the skills they need to stay compliant and improve function and efficiency. Our programs can also help you develop new skills that enable you to stay one step ahead of the competition.
Get the joint representations legal training you need to handle any ethical issue that arises in these complex multi-party matters. Purchase your on-demand training program from Lorman Education Services today or contact us for additional information.
More Program Information
Common Scenarios for Joint Representation
The Pros and Cons of Joint Representation
The Conflicts Rule(s) Relative to Joint Representation
Disclosures and Informed Consent for Joint Representation
The Duty to Communication in the Context of Joint Representation
More Program Information
This course was last revised on October 24, 2018.
Call 1-866-352-9540 for further credit information.
- CA MCLE 1.0 including Ethics 1
- Lorman Business Center, LLC. is a State Bar of California approved MCLE sponsor and this course qualifies for 1.0 CLE hours of participatory credit, of which includes 1.00 hours of ethics credit.
- NM CLE 1.0 including Ethics 1
- This program has been approved by the New Mexico Minimum Continuing Legal Education Board for 1.0 hours of credit, including 1.0 hours of ethics credit.
- OR CLE 1.0 including Ethics 1
- Approved for 1.0 CLE credits in Oregon, including 1.00 hours of ethics credit.
- WA CLE 1.0 including Ethics 1
- This program has been approved by the Washington State Board of Continuing Legal Education for 1.0 hours of A/V credit, including 1.00 hours of ethics credit.
To earn each credit Lorman offers through the OnDemand learning platform, you need to watch 100% of the program. Also, for certain credits you will need to fulfill additional requirements which will be displayed on the "credits" tab when viewing the course.
This program does NOT qualify, nor meet the National Standard for NASBA accreditation.
More Program Information
Alison P. Buchanan
Hoge Fenton Jones & Appel
- Shareholder with Hoge Fenton Jones & Appel
- Practice focuses on business litigation, professional liability/professional malpractice, and legal ethics
- Certified Specialist in legal malpractice law as certified by the California State Bar’s Board of Legal Specialization
- Former member of the California State Bar's Standing Committee on Professional Responsibility and Conduct (COPRAC)
- Taught Professional Responsibility at Lincoln Law School for ten years (from 2007 through 2017)
- Frequently lectures throughout the state on attorney ethics
- Named a “Northern California Super Lawyer” every year since 2013, as chosen by peers and through the independent research of Law & Politics and San Francisco magazine
- Written several publications related to the areas of professional responsibility
- Memberships include American Bar Association, Association of Professional Responsibility Lawyers (APRL), Santa Clara County Bar Association, Bar Association of San Francisco
- J.D. degree, Chicago-Kent College of Law; undergraduate, University of California, Irvine
- Can be contacted at [email protected]
More Program Information
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.
Access to all training products for one year
Unlimited Lorman Training
With the All-Access Pass there is no guessing what you will need for your yearly training budget. $699 will cover all of your training needs for an entire year!
Once you purchase your All-Access Pass you will never be any further than one-click away from attending any Lorman training course.
Invest in Yourself
You haven't gotten to where you are professionally by luck alone; it's taken a lot of hard work and training. Invest in yourself with the All-Access Pass.