Learn the different types of alternative fee arrangements that follow the Rules of Professional Conduct.
In today's legal market, clients are seeking methods to compensate their attorneys other than the traditional fee based on an hourly rate. The Rules of Professional Conduct limit some of the flexibility in agreeing to the fee arrangements requested, but there are also practical concerns with some of the potential fee agreements, such as disputes regarding the scope of the engagement and the work covered by the fee. This topic will present various fee arrangements that are used and discuss limitations on those arrangements imposed by the Rules of Professional Conduct. The various risks and benefits associated with each type of arrangement will be covered, as well as required documentation. This information will assist the attorney in proposing or agreeing to alternative fee agreements that the clients are seeking.
The alternative fee arrangement topic is based on both an in-depth reading of the Rules of Professional Conduct and the practical experiences of the program's authors. Content covers different payment options, including flat fees and hourly rates, as well as non-traditional alternatives such as compensation by participating in the client’s venture, third party payments and fee splitting. Conditions under which it is permissible to use a contingency-based fee structure are also covered.
All topics focus equally on an attorney’s legal responsibilities and on the practical matters that should be considered when proposing an alternative fee arrangement for clients. Issues of disclosure, restrictions and required documentation are covered as well.
Program Delivery Options
Alternative Fee Arrangements for Your Clients is available as an on-demand webinar through Lorman Education Services. You can watch our webinars anytime, from any computer. We also offer instant MP3 download of course materials, or physical delivery of the PDF and MP3 files on a USB flash drive for home study. Choose the option that’s best for you by following the Purchase Options link on this page.
Successful completion of Alternative Fee Arrangements for Your Clients qualifies the participant to receive continuing legal education credits with many state bar associations. Please see the Credits tab on this page for a state-by-state list.
Your Path to Professional Growth
The alternative fee arrangement topic is just one of the many professional development options available at Lorman Education Services for attorneys and other legal professionals. For over 28 years, we have been offering innovative alternatives to in-classroom learning for both busy professionals and anyone looking to take their career in a new direction. All classes are taught by highly trained instructors at the top of their field. All you need is an Internet-enabled computer — browse our complete selection of legal webinars and topics today.
Add to Wishlist
More Program Information
Application of Rules of Professional Conduct
- Rule 1.5 - Basis for Determining a Reasonable Fee
- Rule 1.4 - Communication Regarding the Fee
- Rule 1.2 - Scope of Engagement
Fees Based Upon an Hourly Rate
Not to Exceed Fees
- General Use
- Nonrefundable Flat Fees
Compensation by Participating in the Client's Venture
- General Use
- Documentation and Disclosure
- When Impermissible
- Required Documentation
- Typical Arrangements
- Restrictions and Disclosures
Add to Wishlist
More Program Information
This course was last revised on October 13, 2022.
Call 1-866-352-9540 for further credit information.
- AK CLE 1.0 including Ethics 1
- Alaska attorneys may receive 1.0 hours of continuing legal education, including 1.00 hours of ethics credit for completing this program. Please contact the Alaska Bar Association or go to www.alaskabar.org for details regarding reciprocity with other states.
- AL CLE 1.1 including Ethics 1.1
- This course or a portion thereof has been approved by the Alabama State Mandatory Continuing Legal Education Commission for a maximum of 1.1 hours' credit, including 1.1 hours of ethics credit.
- AR CLE 1.0 including Ethics 1
- This course has been approved for 1.0 hours of CLE by the Arkansas CLE Board, including 1.00 hours of ethics credit.
- Arizona CLE 1.0 including Ethics 1
- The Arizona State Bar does not pre-approve or pre-certify MCLE programs. However, records of this program and attendance will be maintained by Lorman Education Services for auditing purposes. This activity may qualify for up to 1.0 hours toward your annual CLE requirement for the State Bar of Arizona, including 1.00 hours of professional responsibility.
- CA MCLE 1.0 including Ethics 1
- Lorman Business Center, LLC. is a State Bar of California approved MCLE sponsor and this course qualifies for 1.0 CLE hours of participatory credit, of which includes 1.00 hours of ethics credit.
- CT CLE 1.0 including Ethics 1
- Neither the Connecticut Judicial Branch nor the Commission on Minimum Continuing Legal Education approve or accredit CLE providers or activities. This course has been approved for CLE credit in jurisdictions aside from CT and therefore it automatically meets the content and delivery requirements in Connecticut. Credit is based on a 60 minute credit hour and shall be awarded as follows: 1.0 CLE credit(s) including 1.00 hour(s) of ethics credit.
- FL CLE 1.5 including Business Litigation 1.5; Ethics 1.5
- This course has been approved by The Florida Bar for 1.5 hours of CLE credit, including 1.50 hour of ethics credit.
This course has been approved by The Florida Bar Certification Plan in the area of Business Litigation for 1.50 hours. Course classification: Intermediate level.
- GA CLE 1.0 including Ethics 1
- This program has been approved by the Georgia Commission on Continuing Lawyer Competency for 1.0 CLE hours, including 1.0 ethics hours.
- HI CLE 1.0 including Ethics 1
- This program was approved by the Hawaii State Board of Continuing Legal Education for 1.0 CLE credit hours including 1.00 ethics credit hours.
- ID CLE 1.0 including Ethics 1
- This program has been approved by the Idaho State Bar for 1.0 CLE hours, including 1.00 hours of ethics credit.
- IL CLE 1.0 including Legal Ethics 1
- This course was approved for a total of 1.0 hours of MCLE Credit by the Illinois MCLE Board.
The Illinois Commission on Professionalism has also approved this course for the following credit: Legal Ethics for 1.00 hour.
- MN CLE 1.0 including Ethics 1
- This program has been approved by the Minnesota Board of Continuing Legal Education for 1.0 hours of credit, including 1.00 hours of ethics credit.
- NC CLE 1.0 including Ethics 1
- This program has been approved by the North Carolina State Bar Board of Continuing Legal Education for 1.0 CLE hours, including 1.00 hour of ethics credit.
- ND CLE 1.0 including Ethics 1
- North Dakota CLE policy does not allow for pre-approval of any self-study courses. This course may qualify for up to 1.0 hours of CLE credit, including 1.00 hours of ethics credit.
- NH MCLE 1.1 including Ethics 1.1
- NH MCLE does not approve or accredit CLE activities for the NH Minimum CLE requirement. Lorman Education Services believes this Ondemand course meets the requirement of NH Supreme Court Rule 53 and may qualify for 66 minutes of ethics credit.
- NM CLE 1.1 including Ethics 1.1
- This program has been approved by the New Mexico Minimum Continuing Legal Education Board for 1.1 hours of credit, including 1.1 hours of ethics credit.
- NV CLE 1.0 including Ethics 1
- This program has been approved by the Nevada Board of Continuing Legal Education for 1.0 CLE hours, including 1.00 hours of ethics credit.
- NY CLE 1.0 including Ethics and Professionalism 1
- This course has been approved in accordance with the requirements of the New York Continuing Legal Education Board for up to a maximum of 1.0 credit hours in the area(s) of Ethics and Professionalism for 1.00 hour. Each hour may be counted only as satisfying one category of credit. Duplicate credit for the same hour of instruction is not permitted. This course qualifies for credit for established attorneys only. Lorman Business Center, LLC. has a financial hardship guideline. Please contact customer service at 1.866.352.9539 for instructions on how to apply.
- OH CLE 1.0 including Professional Conduct 1
- This course has been approved by the Ohio Supreme Court Commission on Continuing Legal Education for 1.0 CLE credit hours, including Professional Conduct for 1.00 hour. Please note: Not more than twelve (12) hours of self-study CLE credit for any biennial reporting period may be earned by an Attorney or Judge under Regulation 409.2. To fulfill CLE requirements for self-study, web-based programs, you must complete 100% of the polling questions during the program. Your hours will be filed electronically within thirty (30) business days by Lorman Education Services provided you fulfilled 100% attendance and polling questions answered.
- OR CLE 1.0 including Ethics 1
- Approved for 1.0 CLE credits in Oregon, including 1.00 hours of ethics credit.
- PA CLE 1.0 including Ethics 1
- This Distance Learning program has been approved by the Pennsylvania Continuing Legal Education Board for 1.0 hours including 1.00 hours of ethics, professionalism or substance abuse CLE credit.
- RI CLE 1.0 including Ethics 1
- This program has been approved by the Rhode Island Mandatory Continuing Legal Education Commission for 1.0 hours of CLE credit, including 1.00 hours of ethics credit.
- UT CLE 1.0 including Ethics 1
- This program has been approved by the Utah State Board of Continuing Legal Education for 1.0 CLE hours, including 1.00 hours of ethics credit.
- VT CLE 1.0 including Ethics 1
- This self-study program has been approved by the Mandatory Continuing Legal Education Board of Vermont for 1.0 hour(s) of CLE credit including credit(s). Please note: Attorneys may only claim 12 credits per compliance period in this format. This course is considered "Non-Moderated Programming without Interactivity".
- WA CLE 1.0 including Ethics 1
- This program has been approved by the Washington State Board of Continuing Legal Education for 1.0 hours of A/V credit, including 1.00 hours of ethics credit.
- WV MCLE 1.3 including Ethics 1.3
- This program has been approved by the West Virginia State Bar MCLE Commission for 1.3 MCLE hours, including 1.3 hours of ethics credit.
- NALA 1.1 including Ethics 1.1
- This program is applicable for continuing legal assistant education credit. Please check with your accrediting board to see if this course will qualify towards your recertification requirements.
Program Length: 1.1 hour(s) including 1.10 hour(s) of ethics credit.
To earn each credit Lorman offers through the OnDemand learning platform, you need to watch 100% of the program. Also, for certain credits you will need to fulfill additional requirements which will be displayed on the "credits" tab when viewing the course.
Virginia MCLE requirements do not allow approval for programs that do not include an audio or audiovisual component.
This program was previously offered as a live webinar. Virginia MCLE requirements do not allow approval for attendance at duplicate programs.
This program does NOT qualify, nor meet the National Standard for NASBA accreditation.
Add to Wishlist
More Program Information
John A. Snow
Parsons Behle & Latimer
- Attorney with Parsons Behle & Latimer, Salt Lake City, Utah
- Practice consists of general civil litigation, including commercial, professional malpractice, construction, and insurance coverage and defense
- Designated in The Best Lawyers in America as Lawyer of the Year in litigation, real estate, and construction law; and designated in the areas of practice of legal malpractice defense, commercial litigation, and construction
- Designated in Utah Business magazine’s Utah Legal Elite in the areas of business and civil litigation and construction law and as a Super Lawyer in the Mountain States in Super Lawyer Magazine
- Chair of the Ethics Advisory Opinion Committee of the Utah State Bar
- Can be contacted at [email protected] or 801-536-6772
Add to Wishlist
More Program Information
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- OnDemand Courses
- Live Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.
Access to all training products for one year
Unlimited Lorman Training
With the All-Access Pass there is no guessing what you will need for your yearly training budget. $699 will cover all of your training needs for an entire year!
Once you purchase your All-Access Pass you will never be any further than one-click away from attending any Lorman training course.
Invest in Yourself
You haven't gotten to where you are professionally by luck alone; it's taken a lot of hard work and training. Invest in yourself with the All-Access Pass.