Gain a better understanding of the various considerations that go into making a choice of entity decision.
There are a number of entity forms that are available when a business or investment enterprise is started. Many lawyers, accountants, and business people fall back on a form that they have used in the past or is recommended to them by someone who is not familiar with of the variables associated with the different forms of business. Unfortunately, it is often the case that the recognition that a poor choice has been made only occurs after the error can’t be corrected or can only be corrected at a significant cost in time, money, and effort.
This topic will help anyone who is responsible for establishing a business or investing in it to understand the factors that they should be considering in making entity choices, including the benefits and detriments of the different forms of doing business or holding investments. Failure to consider these issues may result in significant additional costs, including taxes, exposure to lawsuits and administrative costs.
- You will be able to identify and discuss the typical forms of entities that are available when a business is organized.
- You will be able to explain the advantages and disadvantages from a tax, legal, and compliance perspective of each of the typically utilized forms of business entity.
- You will be able to describe to a client or a business associate what factors should be considered in adopting a particular form of business.
- You will be able to recognize the basic tax characteristics of business entities.
More Program Information
|Overview of Corporate Governance Issues|
|Choice of Entity|
|Organizing a Corporation and Basics of C Corporation Taxation|
|S Corporation Basics|
|Organizing a LLC and Basics of LLC Taxation|
|Compensation and Section 83|
More Program Information
Live Webinar Registration
- AL CLE 1.5
- This course or a portion thereof has been approved by the Alabama State Mandatory Continuing Legal Education Commission for a maximum of 1.5 hours credit.
- AR CLE 1.5
- This course has been approved for 1.5 hours of CLE by the Arkansas CLE Board.
- Arizona CLE 1.5
- The State Bar of Arizona does not approve or accredit CLE activities for the Mandatory Continuing Legal Education requirement. This activity may qualify for up to 1.5 hours toward your annual CLE requirement for the State Bar of Arizona.
- CA MCLE 1.5
- Lorman Business Center, LLC. is a State Bar of California approved MCLE sponsor and this course qualifies for 1.5 CLE hours of participatory credit.
- CT CLE 1.5
- Neither the Connecticut Judicial Branch nor the Commission on Minimum Continuing Legal Education approve or accredit CLE providers or activities. This course has been approved for CLE credit in jurisdictions aside from CT and therefore it automatically meets the content and delivery requirements in Connecticut. Credit is based on a 60 minute credit hour and shall be awarded as follows: 1.5 CLE credit(s).
- HI CLE 1.5
- This program was approved by the Hawaii State Board of Continuing Legal Education for 1.5 CLE credit hours.
- IL CLE 1.5
- This course was approved for a total of 1.5 hours of MCLE Credit by the Illinois MCLE Board.
- ME CLE 1.5
- This course has been approved by the State of Maine Board of Overseers of the Bar. Lawyers who complete this course shall receive 1.5 hours of CLE credit under M. Bar R. 12.
- NH MCLE 1.5
- NH MCLE does not approve or accredit CLE activities for the NH Minimum CLE requirement. Lorman Education Services believes this course meets the requirement of NH Supreme Court Rule 53 and may qualify for CLE credit(s). Program Length: 90 Minutes.
- NJ CLE 1.8
- This program has been approved by the Board on Continuing Legal Education of the Supreme Court of New Jersey for 1.8 hours of total CLE credit.
- PA CLE 1.5
- This Distance Learning program has been approved by the Pennsylvania Continuing Legal Education Board for 1.5 hours of substantive law, practice and procedure CLE credit.
- RI CLE 1.5
- This program has been approved by the Rhode Island Mandatory Continuing Legal Education Commission for 1.5 hours of CLE credit.
- VT CLE 1.5
- This program has been approved by the Mandatory Continuing Legal Education Board of Vermont for 1.5 hours of CLE credit.
- WA CLE 1.5
- This program has been approved by the Washington State Board of Continuing Legal Education for 1.5 hours of Law & Legal Procedure credit.
- WI CLE 1.5
- This program has been approved by the Board of Bar Examiners for 1.5 hours for use toward the Wisconsin Mandatory CLE requirement.
- WV MCLE 1.8
- This program has been approved by the West Virginia State Bar MCLE Commission for 1.8 MCLE hours.
- IAAP 1.5
- All education that aligns with the CAP Body of Knowledge can be used toward recertification. Lorman Education Services believes this course does align and should be counted toward recertification. Please visit IAAP's certification webpage to review recertification details and requirements. https://www.iaap-hq.org/page/CAP_Recertification. Course Length: 1.5.
- CPE 1.8 including Specialized Knowledge 1.8
- Lorman Education Services is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its web site: https://www.nasbaregistry.org/cpas/complaints. For more information regarding administrative policies such as complaint and refund, please contact our offices at 866-352-9539. CPE Credit: Maximum Credit Hours: 1.8 each session (based on a 50 minute credit hour). You must attend at least 50 minutes to obtain credit. Field of Study: Specialized Knowledge for 1.8 hours. Prerequisite: basic knowledge of business financials. Level of Knowledge: Intermediate. Teaching Method: Seminar/Lecture. Advance Preparation: None. Delivery Method: Group Internet Based. Please refer to the information in this brochure for outline, course content and objectives. Upon completion of this course, you will receive a certificate of attendance. Final approval of a course for CPE credit belongs with each state's regulatory board.
Please note: In order to receive CPE credit for this course you MUST use the streaming audio option, as well as enable and complete the required progress checks.
Who should attend?
This live webinar is designed for accountants, controllers, presidents, vice presidents, CFOs, tax managers, financial analysts, enrolled agents, cash managers, bookkeepers, attorneys, and treasurers.
More Program Information
Leo N. Hitt
Reed Smith LLP
- Partner in the Tax Group of Reed Smith LLP’s Pittsburgh office
- Practice includes counseling in all areas of federal income taxes, including corporations, partnerships, specialty entities, such as RICs, REITs and REMICs, and international tax transactions (outbound and inbound)
- Frequent speaker before a variety of tax, legal, and business groups
- Adjunct Professor of Law at the University of Pittsburgh School of Law
- Author and co-author of numerous publications related to business and taxation, including Rethinking the Obvious: Choice of Entity After the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, Pittsburgh Tax Review, Volume 16 (2018) http://taxreview.law.pitt.edu
- Member of Pittsburgh Tax Club and Allegheny Tax Society
- LL.M. degree, New York University School of Law; J.D. degree, cum laude, University of Pittsburgh School of Law; B.A. degree, summa cum laude, University of Pittsburgh
- Court Admissions include U.S. Tax Court, U.S. District Court - Western District of Pennsylvania, and State Supreme Court - Pennsylvania
• Can be contacted at 412-288-3298 or [email protected]
More Program Information
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.
Access to all training products for one year
Unlimited Lorman Training
With the All-Access Pass there is no guessing what you will need for your yearly training budget. $699 will cover all of your training needs for an entire year!
Once you purchase your All-Access Pass you will never be any further than one-click away from attending any Lorman training course.
Invest in Yourself
You haven't gotten to where you are professionally by luck alone; it's taken a lot of hard work and training. Invest in yourself with the All-Access Pass.