Learn how to draft an irrevocable trust to ensure your clients VA and Medicaid benefits are protected.
The average cost of long-term care in the United States ranges from $3,628 per month in assisted living to $7,698 per month for skilled nursing (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, LongTermCare.gov). Approximately seventy percent of someone aged 65 will need long-term care at some point in their remaining years. Many attorneys are asked by clients how they can protect their assets against long-term care expenses. While they may offer an irrevocable trust as a solution, many practitioners are not well-versed in the plethora of rules and regulations for VA and Medicaid benefits and thus do not recognize the elements this trust should contain; nor do they understand how creating this trust will affect VA and/or Medicaid benefits. This topic will help practitioners understand and explain the elements of a properly drafted irrevocable trust created for the purpose of qualifying for VA and/or Medicaid benefits. It will also explain the VA and Medicaid rules and regulations and how they overlap with an irrevocable trust in this context so that practitioners can recognize when this kind of trust might be appropriate.
- You will be able to describe the main contents of an irrevocable trust drafted for VA and/or Medicaid purposes.
- You will be able to discuss why this trust is useful for VA and Medicaid planning.
- You will be able to explain to clients the benefits of this kind of trust.
- You will be able to recognize the overlap between VA and Medicaid planning objectives when deciding whether to use an irrevocable trust.
More Program Information
|Eligibility Requirements of Medicaid and VA Benefits|
|Elements of an Irrevocable Trust in This Context|
|How This Relates to Medicaid and Va Benefits|
More Program Information
Live Webinar Registration
- CFP 1.5
- The Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards, Inc. has granted 1.5 hours of continuing education credit. Level of Knowledge: Intermediate.
- AK CLE 1.5
- Alaska attorneys may receive 1.5 hours of continuing legal education for completing this program. Please contact the Alaska Bar Association or go to www.alaskabar.org for details regarding reciprocity with other states.
- AL CLE 1.5
- This course or a portion thereof has been approved by the Alabama State Mandatory Continuing Legal Education Commission for a maximum of 1.5 hours credit.
- AR CLE 1.5
- This course has been approved for 1.5 hours of CLE by the Arkansas CLE Board.
- Arizona CLE 1.5
- The State Bar of Arizona does not approve or accredit CLE activities for the Mandatory Continuing Legal Education requirement. This activity may qualify for up to 1.5 hours toward your annual CLE requirement for the State Bar of Arizona.
- CA MCLE 1.5
- Lorman Business Center, Inc. is a State Bar of California approved MCLE sponsor and this course qualifies for 1.5 CLE hours of participatory credit.
- CO CLE 2.0
- Lorman Education Services is a Certified Provider, as recognized by the Colorado Supreme Court Continuing Legal and Judicial Education Committee. This program is approved for 2.0 credit hours.
- CT CLE 1.5
- Neither the Connecticut Judicial Branch nor the Commission on Minimum Continuing Legal Education approve or accredit CLE providers or activities. This course has been approved for CLE credit in jurisdictions aside from CT and therefore it automatically meets the content and delivery requirements in Connecticut. Credit is based on a 60 minute credit hour and shall be awarded as follows: 1.5 CLE credit(s).
- HI CLE 1.5
- This program was approved by the Hawaii State Board of Continuing Legal Education for 1.5 CLE credit hours.
- IL CLE 1.5
- This course was approved for a total of 1.5 hours of MCLE Credit by the Illinois MCLE Board.
- ME CLE 1.5
- This course has been approved by the State of Maine Board of Overseers of the Bar. Lawyers who complete this course shall receive 1.5 hours of CLE credit under M. Bar R. 12.
- MN CLE 1.5
- This program has been approved by the Minnesota Board of Continuing Legal Education for 1.5 hours of credit.
- MO CLE 1.8
- This program has been approved by the Missouri Bar for 1.8 hours of CLE.
- MS CLE 1.5
- This program has been approved by the Mississippi Commission on Continuing Legal Education for a maximum of 1.5 credit hours.
- MT CLE 1.5
- This program has been approved by the Montana Commission of Continuing Legal Education for a total of 1.5 CLE credits.
- ND CLE 1.5
- This program has been reviewed by the North Dakota Commission for Continuing Legal Education and approved for 1.5 hours of CLE credit.
- NH MCLE 1.5
- NH MCLE does not approve or accredit CLE activities for the NH Minimum CLE requirement. Lorman Education Services believes this course meets the requirement of NH Supreme Court Rule 53 and may qualify for CLE credit(s). Program Length: 90 Minutes.
- NJ CLE 1.8
- This program has been approved by the Board on Continuing Legal Education of the Supreme Court of New Jersey for 1.8 hours of total CLE credit.
- NM CLE 1.5
- This program has been approved by the New Mexico Minimum Continuing Legal Education Board for 1.5 hours of credit.
- NV CLE 1.5
- This program has been approved by the Nevada Board of Continuing Legal Education for 1.5 CLE hours.
- NY CLE 1.5 including Areas of Professional Practice 1.5
- This course has been approved in accordance with the requirements of the New York Continuing Legal Education Board for up to a maximum of 1.5 credit hours in the area(s) of Areas of Professional Practice for 1.50 hours. Each hour may be counted only as satisfying one category of credit. Duplicate credit for the same hour of instruction is not permitted. This course qualifies for both established and newly admitted attorneys. Lorman Business Center, Inc. has a financial hardship guideline. Please contact customer service at 1.866.352.9539 for instructions on how to apply.
- PA CLE 1.5
- This Distance Learning program has been approved by the Pennsylvania Continuing Legal Education Board for 1.5 hours of substantive law, practice and procedure CLE credit.
- RI CLE 1.5
- This program has been approved by the Rhode Island Mandatory Continuing Legal Education Commission for 1.5 hours of CLE credit.
- TN CLE 1.5
- This program has been approved as a distance learning format by the Tennessee Commission on Continuing Legal Education for a maximum of 1.5 hours of credit.
- UT CLE 1.5
- This program has been approved by the Utah State Board of Continuing Legal Education for 1.5 CLE hours.
- VA CLE 1.5
- This program has been approved by the Virginia Mandatory Continuing Legal Education Board for 1.5 CLE credit hours.
- VT CLE 1.5
- This program has been approved by the Mandatory Continuing Legal Education Board of Vermont for 1.5 hours of CLE credit.
- WA CLE 1.5
- This program has been approved by the Washington State Board of Continuing Legal Education for 1.5 hours of Law & Legal Procedure credit.
- WI CLE 1.5
- This program has been approved by the Board of Bar Examiners for 1.5 hours for use toward the Wisconsin Mandatory CLE requirement.
- WV MCLE 1.8
- This program has been approved by the West Virginia State Bar MCLE Commission for 1.8 MCLE hours.
- CPE 1.8 including Specialized Knowledge 1.8
- Lorman Education Services is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its web site: https://www.nasbaregistry.org/cpas/complaints. For more information regarding administrative policies such as complaint and refund, please contact our offices at 866-352-9539. CPE Credit: Maximum Credit Hours: 1.8 each session (based on a 50 minute credit hour). You must attend at least 50 minutes to obtain credit. Field of Study: Specialized Knowledge for 1.8 hours. Prerequisite: basic knowledge of estate planning. Level of Knowledge: Intermediate. Teaching Method: Seminar/Lecture. Advance Preparation: None. Delivery Method: Group Internet Based. Please refer to the information in this brochure for outline, course content and objectives. Upon completion of this course, you will receive a certificate of attendance. Final approval of a course for CPE credit belongs with each state's regulatory board.
Please note: In order to receive CPE credit for this course you MUST use the streaming audio option, as well as enable and complete the required progress checks.
- Lorman Business Center, Inc. is a registered provider for CPA CPE through the State Education Department of New York, Sponsor number: 000640. The following course will carry the subject area of Specialized Knowledge and Applications for 1.5 hours.
Who should attend?
This live webinar is designed for attorneys, financial planners, estate planners, presidents, vice presidents, accountants, finance directors, controllers and CFOs.
More Program Information
Martha C. Brown & Associates, LLC
- Attorney with Martha C. Brown & Associates, LLC
- Practice emphasizes all aspects of elder law, including estate planning, long-term care planning, medicaid planning, asset protection, medicare, incapacitation issues, end-of-life decision making, guardianship and conservatorship estates, probate, special needs planning and special needs trust, and veteran’s benefits
- Member, Missouri Bar; Maryland Bar; National Association of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA); Missouri Chapter of NAELA Public Policy Committee; Member, Missouri Bar Elder Law Committee and Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- VA accredited attorney
- J.D. degree, University of Maryland School of Law; B.A. degree, University of Texas, Arlington
More Program Information
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.
Access to all training products for one year
Unlimited Lorman Training
With the All-Access Pass there is no guessing what you will need for your yearly training budget. $699 will cover all of your training needs for an entire year!
Once you purchase your All-Access Pass you will never be any further than one-click away from attending any Lorman training course.
Invest in Yourself
You haven't gotten to where you are professionally by luck alone; it's taken a lot of hard work and training. Invest in yourself with the All-Access Pass.