Learn how to properly handle resignations and the aftermath once an employee departs your organization.
This topic will cover the ins and outs of handling departing employees – whether voluntarily leaving or being asked to go. Learn the potential liability and impact of performance evaluations, disciplinary documentation, and internal investigations. Discover how to avoid the perception of improper motivation when you are forced to terminate an employee.
- You will be able to describe how properly to handle involuntary terminations and resignations.
- You will be able to discuss issues to take into account when conducting a reduction in force or mass layoff.
- You will be able to explain the potential liability and impact of performance evaluations.
- You will be able to identify methods of minimizing risk involved in separating employees.
More Program Information
|When You Have to Terminate|
|Procedures for Layoffs|
|Managing the Separation|
More Program Information
This course was last revised on February 4, 2019.
Call 1-866-352-9540 for further credit information.No Credit Available
This program does NOT qualify, nor meet the National Standard for NASBA accreditation.
Live Webinar Registration
- ASA 1.0
- This program qualifies for 1.0 continuing education hour(s) towards maintaining your ASA credential. Please contact ASA for more information at [email protected]
- AL CLE 1.0
- This course or a portion thereof has been approved by the Alabama State Mandatory Continuing Legal Education Commission for a maximum of 1.0 hours credit.
- AR CLE 1.0
- This course has been approved for 1.0 hours of CLE by the Arkansas CLE Board.
- Arizona CLE 1.0
- The State Bar of Arizona does not approve or accredit CLE activities for the Mandatory Continuing Legal Education requirement. This activity may qualify for up to 1.0 hours toward your annual CLE requirement for the State Bar of Arizona.
- CA MCLE 1.0
- Lorman Business Center, LLC. is a State Bar of California approved MCLE sponsor and this course qualifies for 1.0 CLE hours of participatory credit.
- CT CLE 1.0
- Neither the Connecticut Judicial Branch nor the Commission on Minimum Continuing Legal Education approve or accredit CLE providers or activities. This course has been approved for CLE credit in jurisdictions aside from CT and therefore it automatically meets the content and delivery requirements in Connecticut. Credit is based on a 60 minute credit hour and shall be awarded as follows: 1.0 CLE credit(s).
- HI CLE 1.0
- This program was approved by the Hawaii State Board of Continuing Legal Education for 1.0 CLE credit hours.
- IL CLE 1.0
- This course was approved for a total of 1.0 hours of MCLE Credit by the Illinois MCLE Board.
- NH MCLE 1.0
- NH MCLE does not approve or accredit CLE activities for the NH Minimum CLE requirement. Lorman Education Services believes this course meets the requirement of NH Supreme Court Rule 53 and may qualify for CLE credit(s). Program Length: 60 Minutes.
- NJ CLE 1.2
- This program has been approved by the Board on Continuing Legal Education of the Supreme Court of New Jersey for 1.2 hours of total CLE credit.
- PA CLE 1.0
- This Distance Learning program has been approved by the Pennsylvania Continuing Legal Education Board for 1.0 hours of substantive law, practice and procedure CLE credit.
- RI CLE 1.0
- This program has been approved by the Rhode Island Mandatory Continuing Legal Education Commission for 1.0 hours of CLE credit.
- VT CLE 1.0
- This program has been approved by the Mandatory Continuing Legal Education Board of Vermont for 1.0 hours of CLE credit.
- WA CLE 1.0
- This program has been approved by the Washington State Board of Continuing Legal Education for 1.0 hours of Law & Legal Procedure credit.
- WI CLE 1.0
- This program has been approved by the Board of Bar Examiners for 1.0 hours for use toward the Wisconsin Mandatory CLE requirement.
- WV MCLE 1.2
- This program has been approved by the West Virginia State Bar MCLE Commission for 1.2 MCLE hours.
- HR Certification Institute 1.0
- This program has been approved for 1.0 (General) recertification credit hours toward aPHR(TM), aPHRi(TM), PHR®, PHRca®, SPHR®, GPHR®, PHRi(TM) and SPHRi(TM)recertification through HR Certification Institute® (HRCI®). For more information about certification or recertification, please visit the HR Certification Institute website at www.hrci.org.
- SHRM 1.0
- Lorman Education Services is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CPSM or SHRM-SCPSM. This program is valid for 1.0 PDC(s) for the SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP.
- CPE 1.2 including Business Law 1.2
- Lorman Education Services is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its web site: www.nasbaregistry.org. For more information regarding administrative policies such as complaint and refund, please contact our offices at 866-352-9539. CPE Credit: Maximum Credit Hours: 1.2 each session (based on a 50 minute credit hour). You must attend at least 50 minutes to obtain credit. Field of Study: Business Law for 1.2 hours. Prerequisite: basic knowledge of employment laws. Level of Knowledge: Intermediate. Teaching Method: Seminar/Lecture. Advance Preparation: None. Delivery Method: Group Internet Based. Please refer to the information in this brochure for outline, course content and objectives. Upon completion of this course, you will receive a certificate of attendance. Final approval of a course for CPE credit belongs with each state's regulatory board.
Please note: In order to receive CPE credit for this course you MUST use the streaming audio option, as well as enable and complete the required progress checks.
Who should attend?
This live webinar is designed for human resource managers, benefits and payroll administrators, personnel managers, business owners and managers, and attorneys.
More Program Information
Peter E. Hansen
- Senior counsel at SmithAmundsen LLC
- As a former human resources supervisor, he understands the challenges his clients face, including being on the receiving end of a lawsuit brought on by a former employee; what he remembers of the experience is the assurance he felt when working with his employment lawyer to resolve the matter
- He strives to give his own clients the same comfort and confidence of knowing that everything is under control and that he will do whatever is necessary to represent their interests
- Defends employers against claims of discrimination and retaliation under the state and federal laws, including the ADA, ADEA, FMLA, FLSA, IHRA, and Title VII
- Represents clients in all phases of state, federal, and administrative agency litigation, and government hearings
- Works with employers of all sizes in many different industries, including security, construction, health care, and nonprofit
- J.D. degree, Marquette University Law School; B.A. degree, magna cum laude, Northern Illinois University
More Program Information
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- OnDemand Courses
- Live Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.
Access to all training products for one year
Unlimited Lorman Training
With the All-Access Pass there is no guessing what you will need for your yearly training budget. $699 will cover all of your training needs for an entire year!
Once you purchase your All-Access Pass you will never be any further than one-click away from attending any Lorman training course.
Invest in Yourself
You haven't gotten to where you are professionally by luck alone; it's taken a lot of hard work and training. Invest in yourself with the All-Access Pass.