... and Other Wandering Workers Who Telecommute From Abroad for Personal Reasons
Technology aids remote work in ways that weren’t possible just years ago. Many different types of jobs that used to be handled at an employer’s workplace are now able to be done remotely. Once the COVID-19 pandemic hit in early 2020 the work-from-home trend that was already growing just exploded. What felt like overnight, millions of on-site workers around the globe switched to telecommuting. This quick worldwide transformation to working-from-home inevitably set off logistical problems and legal challenges. Among the more complex issues are the “global covid nomads” - employees that COVID-19 transformed into telecommuters who then slipped away to work from new homes in foreign countries. This white paper reviews the legal issues around global covid nomads.
Donald C. Dowling, Jr.
Littler Mendelson P.C.
- Shareholder at Littler Mendelson P.C., New York City, the international labor/employment law firm
- Practice is international employment law, advising multinational headquarters on cross-border employment issues that arise in workforces around the world
- Provides counsel on a wide variety of global employment law matters, including codes of conduct and HR policies that guide operations in multiple jurisdictions, international compensation and benefits issues, whistleblower hotlines, and cross-border internal investigations and HR compliance audits
- Regularly advises clients on employment matters that arise with international restructurings, reductions in force, mergers, acquisitions, and outsourcing
- Helps clients properly engage independent contractors overseas, manage expatriate programs, and develop employment agreements and employee handbooks
- Has delivered hundreds of presentations on international employment law issues in English and Spanish in countries around the world and regularly publishes articles and teaches courses on a variety of global employment law topics
- Member, Advisory Board, New York University School of Law’s Center for Labor & Employment Law; former chair, Cross-Border HR Group, XBHR
- Named, The Best Lawyers in America©, 2019-2022; America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Chambers USA, 2017; Legal 500, U.S. Labor & Employment, Workplace and Employment Counseling; Super Lawyer, New York, Super Lawyers; Attorneys Who Matter, Ethisphere Institute, 2010; Leading International Labor/Employment Lawyer, PLC Which Lawyer?
- Written dozens of law review articles, book chapters, and other publications on international employment law
- J.D. degree, University of Florida College of Law; A.B. degree, University of Chicago
- Can be contacted at 212-471-4488 or [email protected]
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.