U.S. Tax Court issues opinion upholding the validity of regulations issued under Internal Revenue Code Section 883.
The gross income from the international operation of ships by foreign corporations, if the foreign country in which the corporation is organized grants an equivalent exemption to corporations organized in the United States, is exempt from U.S. tax by Code Section 883(c)(1). This code section provides that the exemption doesn’t apply if 50+% of the value of a foreign corporation’s stock is owned those who nonresidents of a foreign country that grants an equivalent exemption to U.S. corporations. In this case the ownership regulations validity was challenged. The Tax Court’s holding in favor of the validity of the Ownership Regulations is specific to the specific provisions at issue in those regulations.
Andrew R. Roberson
McDermott Will & Emery LLP
- Partner in the law firm of McDermott Will & Emery LLP and is based in the firmâ€™s Chicago office
- Focuses on tax controversy and litigation matters
- Has represented clients before the IRS Examination Division and Appeals Office and has been involved in matters at all levels of the federal court system, including the United States Tax Court, several U.S. Courts of Appeal and the Supreme Court
- Experience settling tax disputes through alternative dispute resolution procedures, including fast track settlement, and representing clients in CAP audits
- Frequent speaker and writer on tax controversy matters
- LL.M. degree, New York University School of Law; J.D. degree, Pepperdine University School of Law; B.A. degree, University of Washington
- Can be contacted at [email protected]
Roger J. Jones
McDermott Will & Emery
Roger J. Jones represents clients in tax controversy and litigation matters at all levels of the federal court system, before the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), and before various state courts and tax agencies. He has represented taxpayers, including numerous Fortune 500 companies, in more than 80 docketed cases before the US Supreme Court, most of the US courts of appeals, federal district courts, the US Court of Federal Claims and the US Tax Court.
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.
Thank You!Download White Paper
More Program Information
Access to all training products $699/year
Unlimited Lorman Training
With the All-Access Pass there is no guessing what you will need for your yearly training budget. $699 will cover all of your training needs for an entire year!
Once you purchase your All-Access Pass you will never be any further than one-click away from attending any Lorman training course.
Invest in Yourself
You haven't gotten to where you are professionally by luck alone; it's taken a lot of hard work and training. Invest in yourself with the All-Access Pass.