Federal court recently struck down the easier pathway employers could use to form AHPs.
This pathway was created by the Department of Labor’s (DOL) 2018 final rule, which allowed more employers to form association health plans (AHPs) than previous DOL sub-regulatory guidance. Although employers may no longer rely on forming an AHP under the easier pathway (at least for now), they can still form AHPs under long-standing DOL guidance unaffected by the district court’s ruling. This white paper provides a background on the DOL’s final rule and reviews why Pathway 1 AHIPs are still viable.
Mark J. Lamberth
- Senior vice president with the Capstone Administrators and practice leader for GuidingPosts, LLC
- Recognized expert in the Affordable Care Act and in Multiple Employer Plans
- Frequent speaker at numerous benefits industry and association industry events
- 42 years in the health & welfare (employee benefits) industry
- Served employers of all sizes in 31 states, from Fortune 100 companies to 2 employee groups
- 20+ years in building & managing AHPs, MEWAs & Multiemployer Plans (labor)
- Successful record of building and growing health plans for several major insurance companies
- Active in Industry Trade Groups (NAHU) and lobbying efforts in DC & States
- Listed twice in the Journal of Who’s Who of America’s Healthcare Executives
- Can be contacted at 859-300-6432, [email protected] or [email protected]
Julie M. Mitchell, Esq.
- Attorney at Capstone Benefits Group, Inc., and its subsidiaries - Capstone Administrators, LLC, ComplianceDashboard, LLC, and GuidingPosts, LLC
- Oversees HIPAA compliance within Capstone by monitoring regulatory requirements, developing privacy and security programs, and implementing policies to ensure compliance
- Manages federal compliance requirements of all Trust Associations managed within Capstone Administrators
- Conducts compliance training to trustees, fiduciaries, and employer members of Capstone's Trust Associations regarding their responsibilities and duties to the Trust
- Creates and edits content for ComplianceDashboard's self-compliance tool for employer-sponsored health plans
- Assists in the consultation and development of association health plans (AHPs) through GuidingPosts
- Admitted to practice law and in good standing with the Indiana State Bar since May 2019
- J.D. degree, Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law
- Can be contacted at 317-793-2917 or [email protected]
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.