Who are reasonably ascertainable creditors?
An important role of the personal representative in the settlement of an estate is to promptly make a diligent search to determine potential creditors of the decedent who are reasonably ascertainable and to serve on them a Notice to Creditors. If this task is properly performed, the claims of potential creditors will be barred after the later of 3 months after first publication of the Notice to Creditors or 30 days after date of service of a copy of the Notice to Creditors. This white paper reviews who reasonably ascertainable creditors are and what a diligent search is.
Jeffrey M. Gad
Johnson Pope Bokor Ruppel & Burns, LLP
- Partner with Johnson Pope Bokor Ruppel & Burns, LLP
- Focuses his practice on representing individuals emphasizing a broad range of probate, business and taxation related issues; his practice integrates the personal and estate tax planning concerns of individuals with tax and business planning for their closely-held businesses
- As part of his corporate practice, he assists businesses with choice-of-entity planning, the formation of business entities, business contracts, such as the preparation, review and negotiation of operating agreements and shareholder agreements; in addition to his corporate practice, he has extensive experience in all aspects of probate and trust administration, including the preparation of estate tax returns
- Experienced in probate, trust and guardianship litigation and appeals, including will and trust contests and cases involving capacity, undue influence, determination of beneficiaries, homestead challenges, powers of attorney, spousal elective share, estate claims, breach of fiduciary duty, and tortious interference with inheritance
- Represents clients with IRS audits and investigations and has successfully resolved estate tax audits involving valuation issues raised by the use of family limited partnerships in estate planning
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Since 2013, Listed in Florida for Trusts and Estates and Tax Law; Florida Trend’s Legal Elite, 2015–2019, Listed for Wills, Trusts & Estates Law; The Florida Bar, Tax and Real Property and Probate Sections, Member; Hillsborough County Bar Association, Real Property and Probate Division, Member; Congregation Kol Ami, Vice President and Member of Board of Trustees; Jewish National Fund of Tampa Bay, Board Member; JCRC of Tampa Bay, Former Committee Member; Hillsborough Education Foundation, Former School Enrichment Committee Member
- LL.M. degree in taxation, New York University School of Law; J.D. degree, magna cum laude, Nova Southeastern University, Shepard Broad Law Center; B.S.B.A. degree, University of Florida
Natalie A. Roberts
Johnson Pope Bokor Ruppel & Burns, LLP
- Of counsel at Johnson Pope Bokor Ruppel & Burns, LLP
- Practice emphasizes all aspects of tax law and estate planning
- Conducts occasional seminars and workshops on such topics as divorce taxation, asset protection, and general issues in estate planning
- Written articles and blogs related to the areas of tax law, business law and estate planning
- Tampa Chamber of Commerce Leadership Tampa Class of 2018; Leadership Tampa Alumni, Women of Influence and Programming Committees; Estate Planning Council of Tampa Bay
- Economic Club of Tampa; Florida Bar; Hillsborough County Bar Association; American Bar Association; and Minnesota State Bar Association: Tax, Probate, Trust and Estate Planning, and solo/small firm sections; League of Exceptional Women; The Helen Gordon Davis Centre for Women; and USF Women in Leadership and Philanthropy
- J.D. degree; LL.M. degree in taxation, University of Florida Law School
- Can be contacted at 813-225-2500 or [email protected]
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.