Yes, there are reporting requirements for "Top Hat" plans.
Employers should be aware that nonqualified deferred compensation plans that are established to provide unfunded deferred compensation benefits to a select group of management or highly compensated employees, or top hat plans, are not subject to the typical ERISA reporting and disclosure requirements. Top hat plans have the advantage of being extremely flexible in a number of ways that typical qualified retirement plans cannot be. As part five of the ongoing “Debunking SPD Myths” series, this this white paper explains that employers must be aware that at least some reporting requirements apply to top hat plans.
Eric W. Gregory
Dickinson Wright PLLC
- Attorney in the Troy, Michigan office of Dickinson Wright
- Practice emphasizes all aspects of employee benefits and executive compensation law, including qualified retirement plans, welfare plans, and nonqualified compensation programs
- Conducts regular seminars and workshops on numerous employee benefits issues such as ERISA compliance and best practices, avoiding litigation risk for sponsors of retirement plans, and employer fiduciary duties under ERISA
- Author of several publications related to employee benefits such as Surviving an IRS or DOL Retirement Plan Audit: Failing to Prepare is Preparing to Fail, Here Comes the Department of Labor: Retirement Plan Audits Begin for Code Section 401(a)(9) Compliance, and Missing Participants Policy and Procedure
- Awards include Up and Coming Lawyer, Chambers USA 2020 – present; Best Lawyers in America, Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law, 2023; Michigan Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2016 – present; Michigan Lawyers Weekly, Up & Coming Lawyers, Class of 2017; DBusiness Magazine Top Lawyer, Employee Benefits Law, 2016 – present
- Past chair of State Bar of Michigan Taxation Section’s Employee Benefits Committee and past chair of Oakland County Bar Association Employee Benefits Committee
- Taxation Council Member, State Bar of Michigan Taxation Section
- LL.M. degree in taxation, certificate in employee benefits law, Georgetown University Law Center; J.D. degree, Wayne State University; B.A. degree in political theory and constitutional democracy, Phi Beta Kappa, Michigan State University, James Madison College
- Can be contacted at [email protected] or 248-433-7669
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.