Learn when IRC Section 382 applies when there is an ownership change.
Under IRC § 382 "the amount of the taxable income of any new loss corporation for any post-change year which may be offset by pre-change losses shall not exceed the § 382 limitation for such year." Under prior law the general approach was to limit or reduce the amount of NOL carryovers in certain acquisitions. Under current laws the carryovers remain intact but the post-acquisition income against which they can be applied is limited. The theory of the law is that the post-acquisition use of the carryovers should be limited to the use that the old loss corporation could have made of them if the acquisition had not occurred. It is assumed that the old loss corporation could have earned income each year equal to a reasonable return on its value, and the post-acquisition income against which the old loss corporation's carryovers can be applied is therefore limited each year to a percentage of the old loss corporation's value on the acquisition date deemed to represent a reasonable rate of return. This white paper reviews when § 382 applies after a change in ownership.
THE BARINGER LAW FIRM II, L.L.C.
- Has over 38 years of experience in the practice of law
- He is certified by the Louisiana State Bar Association as a specialist in the field of taxation
- Areas of emphasis in practice are in the fields of tax law (planning, business transactions, dispute resolution and tax litigation), securities law, bankruptcy law (with emphasis on representation of creditors, creditor committees, trustees and Chapter 11 work), corporate law, commercial and business litigation, corporate takeovers, business organizations, personal injury law, professional malpractice, mergers and acquisitions, employment law, ERISA litigation, life/accident and health insurance law, wills, trusts, estate planning, successions and estate administration
- Has trial experience in all federal district courts in Louisiana, many of the Louisiana state district courts, and the U.S. Tax Court
- Serves as owner and manager of Nationwide 1031 Exchange Professionals, L.L.C. and Nationwide E.A.T., L.L.C., which provide services as a like-kind exchange intermediary and exchange accommodation title holder, respectively, for IRC §1031 like-kind exchange transactions
- Frequent presenter of seminar programs in the fields of taxation, bankruptcy, business organizations, trial practice, ethics and professionalism
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.
Thank You!Download White Paper
More Program Information
Access to all training products $699/year
Unlimited Lorman Training
With the All-Access Pass there is no guessing what you will need for your yearly training budget. $699 will cover all of your training needs for an entire year!
Once you purchase your All-Access Pass you will never be any further than one-click away from attending any Lorman training course.
Invest in Yourself
You haven't gotten to where you are professionally by luck alone; it's taken a lot of hard work and training. Invest in yourself with the All-Access Pass.