Fraud losses are in the billions.
The health care fraud takedown has resulted in more than $2 billion in national fraud losses. That total comes from charges against 601 individuals. The Department of Justice has revealed that this has been the largest health care fraud enforcement action. This white paper reviews results of this takedown.
Jennifer Orr Mitchell
Dinsmore & Shohl LLP
Jennifer M. Orr is an associate at the law firm of Dinsmore & Shohl LLP in Cincinnati, where she practices law in the areas of litigation, health care and insurance coverage. Her practice involves general litigation at the trial court and appellate levels in state and federal courts, with an emphasis on healthcare litigation. She focuses on defending healthcare clients in cases alleging fraud and abuse, medical malpractice, breach of confidentiality, ERISA, credentialing and other general healthcare-related claims. Ms. Orr advises healthcare clients (including providers, payors, third party administrators, vendors, and pharmaceutical manufacturers) on a wide variety of federal and state regulatory compliance matters, including general corporate compliance, fraud and abuse, anti-kickback, anti-referral, antitrust, prescription drug marketing, privacy, confidentiality, Medicare, Medicaid, risk management, and litigation avoidance. She advises and presents on the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act’s (HIPAA) Administrative Simplification provisions, including the Privacy, Security and Transactions/Code Sets regulations, and assists clients with their HIPAA compliance initiatives. She holds a B.A. degree from Miami University and a J.D. degree, cum laude, from the University of Akron School of Law. Ms. Orr is a member of the American Bar Association; the Ohio State Bar Association; the Kentucky Bar Association; the Defense Research Institute; the Ohio Association of Civil Trial Attorneys; the Society of Ohio Hospital Attorneys; the American Health Lawyers Association; the Cincinnati Bar Association, Health Care Law Committee and YLS Mentoring Committee. She is a former adjunct professor of legal writing at the University of Akron School of Law.
Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP
- Managing associate in Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP's restructuring practice, where she has advised a variety of clients, such as debtors, creditors and lenders, in restructuring-related matters
- Represents a broad spectrum of clients in financial restructuring and insolvency matters and takes a creative approach to applying her skills across various industries
- Active member in the New York Women's Affinity Group
- Prior to joining Orrick, she was an associate at King & Spalding LLP, where she was a member of the Financial Restructuring Practice Group
- Prior to attending law school, she was an audit associate at KPMG LLP. While at KPMG, she was a member of the audit teams at Citigroup and Credit Suisse
- Certified Public Accountant
- J.D. degree, cum laude, St. John’s University School of Law; B.S. degree, summa cum laude, Binghamton University School of Business
Matthew S. Arend
Dinsmore & Shohl LLP
Matthew S. Arend is a partner in the Cincinnati, OH office of Dinsmore & Shohl LLP. Matt has significant experience in health care contracting, defending health care clients in medical negligence matters, federal False Claims Act qui tam defense and other litigation involving claims of health care program fraud and abuse. He focuses on handling business and fiduciary litigation matters at the trial court and appellate levels, with an emphasis on complex litigation and class action matters; the defense of health care providers and manufacturers; contract disputes; trade secret and non-compete agreements; and ERISA and other benefits matters.
In addition to his litigation experience, Matt also focuses his practice on all aspects of federal and state privacy and data security issues, including HIPAA compliance, breach analyses, cybersecurity, and state data breach laws. He also routinely advises clients on compliance with federal and state anti-kickback laws, Stark law, Sunshine Act, Medicare Secondary Payer laws, pharmaceutical marketing rules and other regulatory matters. Additionally, his thorough knowledge of the health care arena enables him to effectively counsel clients through audits and investigations, administrative hearings and appeals, and enforcement actions, as well as providing training and strategic planning counseling to minimize risks related to non-compliance.
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.