Section 504 is a precursor to IDEA with a much broader scope.
Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 is one of three federal statutes that govern the education of students with disabilities. It specifically applies to schools receiving federal financial assistance. The Americans with Disabilities Act prohibits discrimination against students with disabilities, and it applies to public and private schools, regardless of whether they receive federal funds, except for religious schools. In addition, the Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act governs public schools and requires them to identify, evaluate, and provide special education and related services to students with disabilities. Under IDEA, public schools must provide students with disabilities with an individualized education plan. This paper will provide an overview of Section 504’s dynamics and characteristics.
James P. Evans
Barclay Damon LLP
- Partner with Barclay Damon, LLP
- More than 25 years’ experience representing educational institutions, including K-12 and post-secondary institutions, in all facets of education law
- Represents numerous educational institutions, including private schools, charter schools and public school districts concerning all facets of education law, including student privacy
- Advises not-for-profit corporations regarding compliance issues and matters pertaining to education rights
- Has obtained significant experience representing parents, students and educational institutions regarding all facets of education law, including federal and state law compliance
- Adjunct professor of education at Le Moyne College, where he has constructed and taught a master's level course in education law for school administrators over the past nine years
- Frequent speaker and lecturer regarding school law education law and related matters
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.
Thank You!Download White Paper
More Program Information
Access to all training products $699/year
Unlimited Lorman Training
With the All-Access Pass there is no guessing what you will need for your yearly training budget. $699 will cover all of your training needs for an entire year!
Once you purchase your All-Access Pass you will never be any further than one-click away from attending any Lorman training course.
Invest in Yourself
You haven't gotten to where you are professionally by luck alone; it's taken a lot of hard work and training. Invest in yourself with the All-Access Pass.