Most states say anyone or anyone over 18.
However, in 2013, the United States Supreme Court in McBurney v. Young upheld a Virginia law that limited public records requests to citizens of Virginia. And in Tennessee, “all state, county and municipal records shall . . . be open for personal inspection by any citizen of this state, and those in charge of the records shall not refuse such right of inspection to any citizen, unless otherwise provided by state law.” Tenn. Stat. 10‐7‐503(a)(2)(A). The Deadspin website is actually “crowd‐sourcing” public records requests to comply with “resident‐only” rules, asking people to volunteer to be the requestor in their home states. Watch this video for examples of public records.
Mary Ellen Roy
- Partner in the New Orleans office of Phelps Dunbar LLP
- Represents book and magazine publishers, television networks, television stations, newspapers, Internet companies, entertainers, record companies, movie studios, and TV and film production companies throughout the Gulf South in copyright, trademark, and First Amendment litigation
- Listed in Super Lawyers and The Best Lawyers in America
- On behalf of a national hip hop duo, won a copyright infringement lawsuit brought by a local musician and obtained award of attorneys’ fees
- J.D. degree, cum laude, Harvard Law School
- Can be contacted at 504-584-9254 or [email protected]
- Staff attorney in the New Orleans office of Phelps Dunbar LLP
- Has litigated numerous public records and government access cases on behalf of news media clients
- Representing a New Orleans television station, he obtained a ruling that required the city of New Orleans to produce the electronic calendar and emails of then Mayor C. Ray Nagin; prosecutors recently used entries in the calendar as evidence to convict Mr. Nagin on multiple charges of public bribery and corruption
- J.D. degree, cum laude, Tulane University Law School
- Can be contacted at 504-584-9365 or [email protected]
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.