Learn why it is important to manage access of records properly.
The HIPAA Security Rule requires consideration of encryption of all communications as an addressable implementation specification. HIPAA Privacy Rule §164.522 and §164.524 give patients rights of communication preferences and access of information. This makes patients happy and makes HHS happy. So how are organizations allowed to communicate with patients? Do what the patient or their representative wants as long as you are meeting HIPAA requirements, accommodating what you reasonably can, and meeting the patient’s needs. This video reviews why professional communications of personal health information must be protected and discusses why communication with patients requires flexibility.
Lewis Creek Systems, LLC
- Founder and director of compliance services at Lewis Creek Systems, LLC
- Provides a complete suite of services related to information privacy and security regulatory compliance, including compliance reviews, information flow and risk analyses, technical security reviews, training, and policy development services
- Conducts regular seminars and workshops on health care information privacy and security, information management and disposal, and information security risk analysis
- Speaker at national conferences for the American Health Information Management Association and the Workgroup for Electronic Data Interchange
- Recipient of the 2011 WEDI Award of Merit
- M.S. degree, Massachusetts Institute of Technology; B.S. degree, summa cum laude, University of Vermont
- Can be contacted at www.lewiscreeksystems.com
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.