One of the reasons why cross-training isn’t effective can be as simple as a lack of planning.
Before beginning any cross-training it is important to ensure staffing coverage while conducting the cross-training or right from the start you will be playing catch up for the work the isn’t getting done. Use a roadmap to guide the cross-training and make it more efficient. Simply having one worker follow another around is not necessarily very efficient. Have a discussion between the individual who is being cross trained and his/her manager to explain why the cross training is being carried out can help overcome job rotation challenges. Watch this video for details on addressing problems with coverage, how to manage expectations, and other external issues affecting job rotations.
William J. Rothwell, Ph.D., SPHR, SHRM-SCP, RODC, CPTD Fellow
Rothwell & Associates, Inc.
William J. Rothwell, Ph.D., DBA, SPHR, SHRM-SCP, RODC, FLMI, CPTD Fellow
- President, Rothwell & Associates, Inc., Rothwell & Associates, LLC, and Rothwell & Associates Korea
- 50 years of HR experience in government, international business, and consulting
- Delivered 1,560 professional presentations in 15 nations over the last 30 years
- His recent books since 2020 include Mastering the Art of Process Consultation and Virtual Group Coaching Simulation (2023); Successful Supervisory Leadership (2023); Transformational Coaching (2023); Succession Planning for Small and Family Business-es (2022); High-Performance Coaching for Managers (2022); Rethinking Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (2022); Organization Development (OD) Interventions: Executing Effective Organizational Change (2021); Virtual Coaching to Improve Group Relationships (2021); The Essential HR Guide for Small Business and Start Ups (2020); Increasing Learning and Development’s Impact Through Accreditation (2020); Adult Learning Basics, 2nd ed. (2020); and, Workforce Development: Guidelines for Community College Professionals, 2nd ed. (2020).
- Member of ATD, SHRM, ISPI, OD Network
- Ph.D., DBA, MABA, MA, BA (completed all courses for a third doctorate)
- [email protected]/814-441-4087
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.