Jurisdictions may become more aggressive when it comes to leases, which makes exemption certificates very important in the leasing industry.
What’s unique about the leasing industry is that when a typical sale and purchase occurs, that is a one-time transaction on a data file during an audit, with a lease it’s a long-term deal with multiple payments. If the first payment is handled incorrectly more than likely that logic is going to follow over through the remaining payments. Due to this it’s imperative to limit the scope of an audit. This video reviews leasing exemptions, common carrier exemptions, contractors performing work for an exempt entity, material handling equipment, and the home rule.
Samantha K. Breslow
Horwood Marcus & Berk Chartered
- Associate with Horwood Marcus & Berk Chartered where she focuses her practice on multistate tax litigation and planning
- Resolves state and local tax controversies for a wide array of clients, including multinational Fortune 500 companies, investment partnerships, and high net worth individuals
- Advises clients on a range of state and local tax topics, including sales and use tax, franchise tax, corporate income tax, personal income tax, gross receipts tax, and unclaimed property
- Co-author of CCH's Annual Guidebook to Illinois Taxes
- Previously served as a multistate tax consultant at Deloitte Tax LLP, where she was active in state tax compliance and planning for high-yield investment partnerships, large law firms, and prominent corporations in most states and jurisdictions
- J.D. degree, University of Illinois College Of Law; B.A. degree in English and Spanish, The University of Texas at Austin
David W. Machemer
Horwood Marcus & Berk Chartered
- Attorney with Horwood Marcus & Berk Chartered and concentrates his practice in state and local tax matters
- Advises multistate taxpayers on the resolution of state and local tax controversies and planning opportunities in the arenas of sales and use, income, franchise, motor fuel, real property and employment taxes
- Brings a unique and practical approach to solving clients' problems; this is a result of his prior experiences working for a large multinational financial and leasing company and also having litigated state tax cases at the Illinois Attorney General's Office
- He understands the challenges and complexities of compliance in today's marketplace, and the significant risks and costs associated with noncompliance
- At the leasing company, he counseled business units in the fleet passenger and trucking, manufacturing, aeronautics, marine, and health care industries on state and local tax laws
- Defended sales and use tax audits in state and local jurisdictions all over the country; prior to that, he served as an Assistant Attorney General where he represented the Illinois Department of Revenue in state tax litigation matters
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.