Where do unconscious biases come from?
Unconscious bias refers to preferences and stereotypes we may be unaware of that affect our perceptions, actions and decisions in an unconscious manner. Such biases often are out of our control, and are triggered automatically by our brains making quick judgments and assessments. Those judgments and assessments are influenced by our background, cultural environment and personal experiences. This video discusses how everyone has unconscious biases, which are a natural brain function, and how recognizing this is the first step to detecting and combatting them. Our speaker also reviews sensitivity and inclusion.
Matthew F. Nieman
Jackson Lewis P.C.
- Principal in the Washington D.C. Region office of Jackson Lewis P.C. and D.C. Office Litigation Manager, 2014-2021
- Admitted to the federal and state bars of Maryland, Virginia, and the District of Columbia
- A national practice that emphasizes all aspects of general employment counsel and litigation; disability, leave, and health management; noncompete and trade secret protection; and privacy, e-communication, and data security
- Conducts regular seminars/live webinars and workshops on sexual harassment, discrimination, substance abuse prevention topics, and litigation avoidance
- Author of numerous publications related to employer issues, including extensive publications in the area of state and federal drug testing
- Serves as general counsel for the Institute for a Drug-Free Workplace and is the co-author of Guide to State and Federal Drug Testing Laws
- American Bar Association; Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM), Dulles Chapter, past president, and current legislative liaison
- He is recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© under “Employment Law - Management” for 2021 and 2022
- J.D. degree, William & Mary School of Law; B.S. degree in Industrial & Labor Relations, Cornell University
- Can be contacted at 703-483-8331 or [email protected]
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.