There are few exceptions when it comes to contract obligation.
There are two fundamental contract doctrines that apply to all contracts – sanctity of contract and autonomy of contract. Sanctity of contract means that each party is obligated to do what it agreed to do, even if performance is more difficult, costly, or time consuming than anticipated. Autonomy of a contract means that the parties are free to contract with whomever and for whatever they want, unless doing so is unlawful or violates public policy. This video reviews these contract doctrines and discusses the relationship between subcontractors and suppliers .
Scott D. Cahalan
Smith, Gambrell & Russell, LLP
- Partner in the construction law section of Smith, Gambrell and Russell, LLP, an AmLaw 200 firm
- Part-time instructor of graduate courses in design and construction law and real estate development law at the Georgia Institute of Technology
- General counsel to the Georgia Utility Contractor’s Association
- Practice includes all aspects of design and construction law from drafting and negotiating prime contractors, subcontracts, and purchase orders to mediating, arbitrating, and litigating construction disputes
- Drafted form construction contracts for the Associated Owners and Developers, a national organization
- Recognized by Chambers USA, The Best Lawyers in America, and Georgia Super Lawyers
- Frequent author and lecturer on construction law
- Member of the State Bar of Georgia, Northern District of Georgia, and 11th Circuit Court of Appeals
- J.D. degree, with honors, University of Georgia; B.S. degree in construction engineering, Iowa State University
- Can be contacted at [email protected], [email protected], or 404-815-3711
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.