Understand the effect of the marital deduction.
Each United States citizen and resident can pass a certain amount of property effectively free of federal estate taxation. Additionally, spouses can give an unlimited amount to each other outright or to certain trusts that qualify for the federal estate tax marital deduction, with no federal estate taxation. Therefore, spouses can leave all of their property to each other (or to a marital deduction trust) without any estate tax being due when the first spouse dies, due to the marital deduction. This video reviews how the marital deduction works and discusses what is taxed once the remaining spouse dies.
Jonathan G. Blattmachr
- Principal at InterActive Legal
- More than 45 years of experience in trusts and estates law
- Former partner in Milbank (formerly, Milbank Tweed Hadley & McCloy) in New York
- Admitted to the bars in New York, California, and Alaska
- Wrote or co-wrote nine books and more than 500 articles on estate planning topics
- Writes and lectures extensively on estate and income tax planning, as well as charitable giving
- Editor of Wealth Transfer Planning and founder of InterActive Legal - www.interactivelegal.com
Teresa L. Bush, Esq.
- Over 30 years of experience in trusts and estates law
- Director of Education and Support Services for InterActive Legal
- Former attorney with Kelly, Hart, and Hallman in Fort Worth, Texas, and tax consultant with Ernst & Young
- Author of several articles/blogs on estate planning topics
- Frequent presenter of online webinars and training classes, including: Effect of Recent Events on Estate Planning, Estate Planning Before 2026 and Beyond for Married Couples, and Restructuring Trusts for the New Tax Law: Trusts under the SECURE Act
- Graduate, Rice University and University of Texas School of Law
- Can be contacted at [email protected]
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.