Take a closer look at the judicial decisions that impact taxes in 2020.
There are many tax cases that have been decided that have a far-reaching impact. However, there aren't many tax cases that are decided in the Supreme Court. South Dakota v. Wayfair was a pseudo-tax case because by and large it was a sales tax case. Wayfair overturned a prior Supreme Court case, Quill, which established the physical presence test standard for sales and use taxes. This video reviews the decision in this case and discusses SALT cap lawsuits and the continuing saga of IRS cases.
- Managing director in the CBIZ, Inc. MHM National Tax office
- Monitors federal tax legislation and consults nationally on a broad range of domestic tax services for businesses and individuals, including IRS procedural and controversy matters
- Authored numerous tax articles, edits all of the CBIZ MHM thought leadership articles, and lectures on a broad range of tax topics across the country
- Co-presents a business tax update every quarter entitled Eye on Washington
- Frequently quoted in nationally recognized publications including the Wall Street Journal, New York Times, Barron’s and the Washington Post, as an authority on tax topics and professional ethics; he has been profiled in Forbes, and appeared as a commentator on NPR, CNBC and Fox News and Fox Business
- In 2013, he was selected as a Washington D.C. Power Player by SmartCEO Magazine – one of a dozen lawyers, bankers and accountants selected in the inaugural year of the program’s existence; in 2017 he was honored again by SmartCEO Magazine as a Washington, D.C. Center of Influence
- Having entered through the honors program, he spent the first five years of his career with the Dept. of Justice, Tax Division, trying tax cases on behalf of the United States (including jury trials in federal district court)
- For over 30 consecutive years, he has received the preeminent ranking in legal ability and ethical standards from his peers, the highest rating available, from Martindale Hubbell, a division of Lexis-Nexis
- Graduated with his law degree, magna cum laude, Florida State University College of Law, where he won a National Moot Court Championship and chaired the new membership for the Law Review
- Active member of the California Bar, inactive member of the Florida Bar, and a member of the ABA Tax Section
- Can be contacted at 301-961-1943, [email protected] or @BillSmithTax1
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.
More Program Information
Access to all training products $699/year
Unlimited Lorman Training
With the All-Access Pass there is no guessing what you will need for your yearly training budget. $699 will cover all of your training needs for an entire year!
Once you purchase your All-Access Pass you will never be any further than one-click away from attending any Lorman training course.
Invest in Yourself
You haven't gotten to where you are professionally by luck alone; it's taken a lot of hard work and training. Invest in yourself with the All-Access Pass.