For years people have talked about shop drawing and submittals interchangeably.
In 2013, the EJCDC began talking about making changes to definitions but there weren’t any changes made. Currently, shop drawings are all drawings, diagrams, illustrations, schedules, and other data or information specifically prepared or assembled by or for contractor and submitted by contractor to illustrate some portion of the work. Shop drawings, whether approved or not, are not drawings and are not contract documents. However, the EJCDC will be making edits in 2018 to include a new definition of submittals.
James C. Brown, P.E.
ARCADIS U.S., Inc.
- Vice president for ARCADIS U.S., Inc., a global environmental engineering and consulting firm
- Licensed professional engineer in New York, New Jersey and Alabama with more than 40 years of experience in construction contract administration services encompassing design, review of contract documents and contractor submittals, value engineering, project planning and scheduling, and resident engineering
- Manages submittal reviews, change order preparation, and construction claims for more than $3.5 billion in construction in New York City, and is one of the firm’s construction claims evaluation experts
- Past chair of the Engineers Joint Contract Documents Committee (EJCDC) and currently chairs EJCDC’s Construction and Procurement Subcommittees
- M.S. degree in environmental engineering, New Jersey Institute of Technology; B.S. degree in civil engineering, Clarkson University
Gerard P. Cavaluzzi
- Vice president and general counsel for Kennedy/Jenks Consultants, a national environmental engineering consultancy
- Responsible for providing legal services, contracts and risk management
- Expert in the areas of contracts, construction claim analysis and resolution, construction contract drafting, professional liability and risk management
- Extensive experience with professional liability, regulatory compliance issues, and related administrative and court proceedings
- Past chair of ACEC Legal Counsel Forum and member of the Engineers Joint Contract Documents Committee (EJCDC), among others
- J.D. degree, Fordham University School of Law; B.A. degree, Marist College
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.