What can be done to combat a defamatory statement?
In defamation cases, there are remedies other than financial damages. A growing number of states have laws that require a plaintiff first request a retraction before they can recover eligible for damages. Generally, a plaintiff must have made the request or notice within a reasonable amount of time after publication of the allegedly defamatory statement. In the majority of states a retraction prevents a plaintiff from recovering punitive damages unless they can also prove actual malice. This video reviews why it is imperative to know your states laws when it comes to defamation cases and discusses corporate limitations.
Amanda Kane Rapp
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP
- Counsel in the Washington D.C. office of Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP
- Former associate counsel at the White House
- Represents corporations, institutions and individuals in matters of reputational recovery, crisis management and government response, and defense from false attacks
- Counsels clients on navigating the intersection between political activity and the law, including navigating the political appointment and vetting process and ethics requirements
- J.D. degree, Georgetown University Law Center; B.A. degree, University of Florida
- Can be contacted at [email protected] or 202-887-4509
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.
More Program Information
Access to all training products $699/year
Unlimited Lorman Training
With the All-Access Pass there is no guessing what you will need for your yearly training budget. $699 will cover all of your training needs for an entire year!
Once you purchase your All-Access Pass you will never be any further than one-click away from attending any Lorman training course.
Invest in Yourself
You haven't gotten to where you are professionally by luck alone; it's taken a lot of hard work and training. Invest in yourself with the All-Access Pass.