How do you make adequate disclosures with limited space available?
Many promotions are now run on mobile marketing platforms to the extent were people have already opted in to participate or people are being invited to participate. Under federal law (TCPA), marketers must obtain express prior written authorization to send marketing messages. There are ways to do this electronically, but it must be clear and can’t overextend - consent does not reach to other affiliates/brands if not clearly given – and it’s very expensive to get it wrong!
Melissa Landau Steinman
- Partner at Venable LLP
- Practice focuses on advertising, marketing and new media, as well as distribution antitrust
- Counsels some of the nation’s largest CPG brands, media and technology companies, hospitality chains and retailers on advertising and promotions, distribution, pricing, warranties, product safety and other matters
- Represents clients in private and government litigation, and before self-regulatory bodies such as the NAD, CARU and the ESRP
- Has extensive experience in consumer promotions law, with specialized expertise in social media, gift cards, incentives and loyalty programs, and sweepstakes and contests law
- Frequent lecturer and writer on topics relevant to promotions and advertising law, particularly social media, prize promotions and gift card topics
- Contributed to the American Bar Association's update of its Consumer Protection Law Handbook, the Brand Activation Association’s treatise on Promotion Marketing Law, and Globe Law and Business’ International Advertising Law, and also wrote the social media and charitable sales promotions chapters for an upcoming ABA Handbook on advertising claims substantiation
- Speaks extensively on marketing, advertising, social media, sweepstakes, gift card and promotions topics; her commentary has appeared nationally
- Wrote and edited the Guide to Federal and State Regulation of Advertising, a comprehensive two volume book on the law of advertising and promotions
- Member of Board of the Brand Activation Association
- Recognized in the 2010 to 2014 editions of Legal 500 for her work in sweepstakes and social media
- J.D. degree, Harvard Law School; B.A. degree, cum laude, Columbia University
- Can be contacted at 202-344-4972 or [email protected]
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.