Substances abuse records are afforded extra-special privacy protections.
Substance abuse records are considered ultra-protected records. They are afforded these special protections because, procedurally, they are so sensitive. They are sensitive because they can contain specifics into the type of drugs or alcohol that are in play. Mental health records are also considered extra-special. No release of records containing record of substance abuse or mental health records can be done unless there is authorization or a court order. A regular subpoena is not sufficient. Our speaker reviews this type of record and where records can be submitted without authorization, as well as how to respond when special information is within a medical chart.
Matthew P. Keris, Esq.
Marshall, Dennehey, Warner, Coleman & Goggin
- Shareholder in the office of Marshall, Dennehey, Warner, Coleman & Goggin
- Practice emphasizes 20 years' representation of hospitals and health care systems in medical professional liability claims
- Conducts regular seminars and workshops on numerous medical malpractice, professional liability and electronic medical records issues
- Author of several publications related to the areas of medical malpractice, professional liability and electronic medical records issues and wrote the ThomsonReuters book, Electronic Medical Records and Litigation
- Past president, Pennsylvania Defense Institute; president, Pennsylvania Association for Healthcare Risk Management; ASHRM; DRI; CLM
- J.D. degree, Roger Williams University School of Law; B.A. degree, cum laude, Shippensburg University of Pennsylvania
- Can be contacted at [email protected] or 570-496-4602
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.