Planning for the eventual reduction in the federal estate tax exemption.
With the federal exemption so high, many clients can have simpler estate plans. However, estate planners should advise their clients on how to address potential changes in the exemption, such as keeping a formula-gift based plan which will self-adjust as the exemption amount change or taking a wait-and-see approach, so the surviving spouse and/or the client’s fiduciaries can create the credit-shelter trust, if necessary. This video reviews why there is a reduced need for credit shelter trust planning and a greater focus on income tax planning.
Jonathan G. Blattmachr
- Principal at InterActive Legal
- More than 45 years of experience in trusts and estates law
- Former partner in Milbank (formerly, Milbank Tweed Hadley & McCloy) in New York
- Admitted to the bars in New York, California, and Alaska
- Wrote or co-wrote nine books and more than 500 articles on estate planning topics
- Writes and lectures extensively on estate and income tax planning, as well as charitable giving
- Editor of Wealth Transfer Planning and founder of InterActive Legal - www.interactivelegal.com
Teresa L. Bush, Esq.
- Over 30 years of experience in trusts and estates law
- Director of Education and Support Services for InterActive Legal
- Former attorney with Kelly, Hart, and Hallman in Fort Worth, Texas, and tax consultant with Ernst & Young
- Author of several articles/blogs on estate planning topics
- Frequent presenter of online webinars and training classes, including: Effect of Recent Events on Estate Planning, Estate Planning Before 2026 and Beyond for Married Couples, and Restructuring Trusts for the New Tax Law: Trusts under the SECURE Act
- Graduate, Rice University and University of Texas School of Law
- Can be contacted at [email protected]
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.