Understand how a see-through trust can be used in retirement planning.
The objective of adding to a retirement plan should be to allow retirement assets to grow tax-free for as long as possible. However, the law requires minimum distributions, both when the participant reaches a specific age, and after the participant dies. The default rule provides that a retirement plan must be distributed within five years after the participant’s death, unless the participant names a designated beneficiary. But what if the participant doesn’t want to give the retirement assets outright to the beneficiaries? Perhaps they want to shelter the retirement nest-egg from creditors or prevent them from being wasted by a potential spendthrift beneficiary. If so, using a trust would be ideal. This video reviews see-through trust planning and discusses types of see-through trusts.
Jonathan G. Blattmachr
- Principal at InterActive Legal
- More than 45 years of experience in trusts and estates law
- Former partner in Milbank (formerly, Milbank Tweed Hadley & McCloy) in New York
- Admitted to the bars in New York, California, and Alaska
- Wrote or co-wrote nine books and more than 500 articles on estate planning topics
- Writes and lectures extensively on estate and income tax planning, as well as charitable giving
- Editor of Wealth Transfer Planning and founder of InterActive Legal - www.interactivelegal.com
Teresa L. Bush, Esq.
- More than 30 years of experience in trusts and estates law
- Director of Education and Support Services for InterActive Legal
- Former attorney with Kelly, Hart, and Hallman in Fort Worth, Texas, and tax consultant with Ernst & Young
- Author of several articles/blogs on estate planning topics
- Frequent presenter of online webinars and training classes, including “Effect of Recent Events on Estate Planning, “Estate Planning Before 2026 (and Beyond) for Married Couples,” “Restructuring Trusts for the New Tax Law: Trusts under the SECURE Act”
- Graduate, Rice University and University of Texas School of Law
- Can be contacted at [email protected]
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.