Gain knowledge on severance pay.
As a payroll professional you already know that any cash or noncash remuneration received for employment, unless specifically exempt, is considered wages subject to the FICA tax. The U.S. Supreme Court says severance payments are wages and are subject to regular FICA taxes. The Supreme Court reasons that such payments are paid as remuneration for employment so they are wages. This video examines examples of non-FICA wages and how to determine those wages.
Jackie A. Sexson
- Compliance manager with Fortune 250 company
- Former executive director with the legal and human resources consulting firm, The Sexson Group
- Extensive experience in employment and labor law, as well as human resources
- Has a legal and HR background in employee relations, performance management (360-degree feedback), organizational management, benefits administration, recruitment and selection, compensation, equal employment opportunity, and training and development
- Experience with the public sector, Fortune 500 companies, and small startup companies
- Held director and executive-level positions and worked as an independent consultant
- Certified as a senior professional in human resources by the Society for Human Resources Management
- J.D. and M.B.A. degrees
- Can be contacted at 303-513-6018 or [email protected]
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.