Documentation is critical to defending the care provided.
Nurses spend a lot of time documenting and more and more documentation is being added. Why do they have to document so much? Legal documents provide evidence of the patient’s care. Most patients won’t remember a year after the care took place whether or not their nurse handled their care correctly. That documentation is the only thing that can help a potential future legal situation. This video reviews the purpose of documentation, nurse’s notes, and case law.
Katie Aumann Morales, Ph.D., RN, CNE
- Assistant professor of nursing at Berry College
- 34 years’ experience as a nurse, 14 years’ experience as a legal nurse consultant, and 8 years’ experience in education
- Professional presentations on nursing and education topics include Studying for Learning: Active Studying Strategies Lilly Conference on Innovative Strategies to Advance Student Learning and How Do Nurses Ensure That Patient Care Is Safe? Quest for Quality Mayo Civic Center Rochester, Minnesota
- Publications related to nursing and nursing education include QSEN Teaching Strategies: Collaborative Exams to Promote Learning Through Teamwork and Collaboration; Sponge relay and cardiac Output; Nursing Education Perspectives: Active learning strategies to enhance nursing students’ knowledge of Pharmacology; Use of an Aquarium and Pump to Demonstrate Cardiac Function; Evidence-Based Practice; In Manning, L. & Rayfield, S. Pharmacology Made Insanely Easy and Nursing Made Insanely Easy (9th ed) and (8th ed); Nursing Management in Health Promotion, In Rayfield, T. & Rayfield, S. Keeping It Real! Simplified. (2nd ed.). Bemis, P. Emergency Nursing Bible: Principles and Practices of Complaint-based Emergency Nursing, (5th ed.) Glossary In Peterson, A. & Kopishke, L. Legal Nurse Consulting: Principles & Practice (3rd ed.). Boca Raton, FL; CRC Press Infection Control Tips; Tools for monitoring hand hygiene in a long-term care facility, Infection Peer-Reviewed Published Abstracts Testing the effect of a resident-focused hand hygiene intervention in a long-term care facility: A mixed methods feasibility study, Virginia Henderson Global Nursing e-Repository. and ProQuest Dissertations and Theses database
- Member of Phi Kappa Phi, Golden Key International Honour Society, Association for General & Liberal Studies, Graduate Nursing Student Academy, Alpha Chi, Georgia Association for Nursing, and Sigma Theta Tau International
- Ph.D. degree, Georgia Baptist College of Nursing of Mercer University; M.S. degree in nursing education, Grand Canyon University; B.S. degree in nursing, University of Phoenix; associate degree in nursing, Columbus State University
- Can be contacted at 706-889-2915 or [email protected] and on Twitter® @KMorales
Megan Farrow, MSN, RN
- Clinical instructor of Nursing at Berry College
- Critical Care nurse since 2009 in Level 2 Trauma Center, Cardiac ICU, Neuro ICU, Med/Surg ICU
- 4 years of education experience in clinical, classroom and simulation
- Podium presentations include 2017- Innovation in Teaching Conference, University of Georgia, Teaching for Learning: It’s All Fun and Games; 2016- Georgia Association of Nurse Educators, Jekyll Island, GA, An Innovative Approach to EBP
- Member of Sigma Tau Delta English Honor Society, Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society, Georgia Association of Nurse Educators and Georgia Simulation Association
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.
More Program Information
Access to all training products $699/year
Unlimited Lorman Training
With the All-Access Pass there is no guessing what you will need for your yearly training budget. $699 will cover all of your training needs for an entire year!
Once you purchase your All-Access Pass you will never be any further than one-click away from attending any Lorman training course.
Invest in Yourself
You haven't gotten to where you are professionally by luck alone; it's taken a lot of hard work and training. Invest in yourself with the All-Access Pass.