Indemnification clauses can be written very broadly.
Indemnification is where a contractor agrees to cover any costs or harm, or loss that the owner may sustain as a result of the contractor’s fault or the fault of its subcontractors. Indemnification in the subcontractor agreement agrees to identify the contractor and the owner for any loss or harm sustained by the contractor or owner as a result of the subcontractor. In addition to contractual indemnification, an obligation of indemnification can occur as a matter of the common law. A party's right to indemnification may arise from a contract or may be implied based upon the law's notion of what is fair and proper as between the parties. Implied, or common‐law, indemnity is a restitution concept which permits shifting the loss because to fail to do so would result in the unjust enrichment of one party at the expense of the other and is frequently employed in favor of one who is vicariously liable for the tort of another. Common‐law indemnification is generally available in favor of one who is held responsible solely by operation of law because of his relation to the actual wrongdoer.
John A. Snow
Parsons Behle & Latimer
- Attorney with Parsons Behle & Latimer, Salt Lake City, Utah
- Practice consists of general civil litigation, including commercial, professional malpractice, construction, and insurance coverage and defense
- Designated in The Best Lawyers in America as Lawyer of the Year in litigation, real estate, and construction law; and designated in the areas of practice of legal malpractice defense, commercial litigation, and construction
- Designated in Utah Business magazine’s Utah Legal Elite in the areas of business and civil litigation and construction law and as a Super Lawyer in the Mountain States in Super Lawyer Magazine
- Chair of the Ethics Advisory Opinion Committee of the Utah State Bar
- Can be contacted at [email protected] or 801-536-6772
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.
More Program Information
Access to all training products $699/year
Unlimited Lorman Training
With the All-Access Pass there is no guessing what you will need for your yearly training budget. $699 will cover all of your training needs for an entire year!
Once you purchase your All-Access Pass you will never be any further than one-click away from attending any Lorman training course.
Invest in Yourself
You haven't gotten to where you are professionally by luck alone; it's taken a lot of hard work and training. Invest in yourself with the All-Access Pass.