Gain insight on the background of construction contract law.
Contract law grows out of human discourse; the simple bargains such children finishing their vegetables before dessert. Many scholars believe that the formal law of contracts began in 1215 with the Magna Carta. The Industrial Revolution forced the English courts to create common law for contracts. In the 19th Century, Parliament expanded the jurisdiction of the courts to deal with commercial disputes.American law is borrowed from the English, Dutch, French, German and Spanish legal traditions. Except for Louisiana, American courts generally default to English common law in contract disputes. This video discusses the background of contract law and reviews how interested parties, such as the AIA, Consensus Docs, Joint Engineering Board, or AGC have created their own form agreements which should be reviewed against the specific contract issues.
Carol A. Sigmond
- Partner in the New York office of Greenspoon Marder LLP
- Concentrates her practice on construction industry matters, including contract preparation, mediation, litigation, suretyship, bid protests, appeals, and arbitration
- Extensive experience in litigation of construction disputes for public works and buildings in both the public and private sectors
- Experienced mediator and is on the New York County Supreme Court Commercial Division Roster of Volunteer Mediators and the American Arbitration Association’s Roster of Construction Industry Arbitrators
- Former President of the New York County Lawyers’ Association, former Vice President of the New York State Bar Association for the 1st Judicial Department, and member of the New York Building Congress, GCA New York, SCL North America, CLSA, ABA, New York State Bar Association and New York County Lawyers Association
- Frequent speaker and author on topics relating to Construction Law
- J.D., The Catholic University of America School of Law; B.A., Grinnell College
- Can be contacted at (212) 524-5074 or [email protected]
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.