What does law require?
Starting with the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) the minimum wage is at $7.25/hour and overtime is for work in excess of 40 hours in a workweek. The FLSA allows for recovery of unpaid wages, liquidated damages, attorney’s fees, and penalties. Compliance with the FLSA is not enough – must also comply with all state and local requirements. Watch this video for details on historical developments causing Congress to adopt the Portal-to-Portal Act.
Patrick M. Madden
K&L Gates LLP
- Partner and former co-chair of the Labor and Employment and Class Action Practice Groups at K&L Gates LLP
- Advises employers on wage and hour payment and compliance and compensation plan design
- Assists employers responding to agency investigations; and represents employers in wage and hour, discrimination, and other employment lawsuits at the state and federal levels
- Worked on hundreds of state, regional, and national wage and hour class actions, including lawsuits involving wage calculation and payment issues, entitlement to overtime and benefits, off-the-clock claims, challenges to exempt status, and claims to employee status
- Listed as a top labor and employment attorney in The Best Lawyers in America and Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, a super lawyer in Washington Law & Politics, a Washington State litigation star by Benchmark Litigation, and a leading employment lawyer in Seattle Business and Seattle Metropolitan magazines
- Frequently speaks, writes, and testifies on wage and hour and wage payment issues
- J.D. degree, with highest honors, University of Washington School of Law, where he was managing editor of the Washington Law Review; B.F.A. degree, Pacific Lutheran University
- Can be contacted at [email protected]
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.