Is the gatekeeper role is ironclad?
There are certain records that are given extra special privacy protections. If you get a simple record subpoena for these types of records you cannot turn over those records. You must have either an authorization from the patient or a court order signed by the judge telling you to turn over those records. In some states there is also the gatekeeper role where no release of the records is allowed if it would be detrimental to the patient’s treatments … even if a judge and the patient tell you to. But what do you do if these special records are within a patient’s chart that you’ve received? Watch this video to find out.
Matthew P. Keris, Esq.
Marshall, Dennehey, Warner, Coleman & Goggin
- Shareholder in the office of Marshall, Dennehey, Warner, Coleman & Goggin
- Practice emphasizes 20 years' representation of hospitals and health care systems in medical professional liability claims
- Conducts regular seminars and workshops on numerous medical malpractice, professional liability and electronic medical records issues
- Author of several publications related to the areas of medical malpractice, professional liability and electronic medical records issues and wrote the ThomsonReuters book, Electronic Medical Records and Litigation
- Past president, Pennsylvania Defense Institute; president, Pennsylvania Association for Healthcare Risk Management; ASHRM; DRI; CLM
- J.D. degree, Roger Williams University School of Law; B.A. degree, cum laude, Shippensburg University of Pennsylvania
- Can be contacted at [email protected] or 570-496-4602
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.