What is appropriate billable time?
Ethical billable practices includes billing appropriate time. Nothing in Bar rules directly addresses proper billable except for the face that a fee should be reasonable and can’t be illegal, prohibited, or clearly excessive. Our speaker offers the tip that billable hours should result from substantive efforts by a lawyer or a trained non-lawyer which provides value to the client. This video reviews tips on ethical billing of fees and what does and does not qualify.
Joseph A. Corsmeier, Esq.
The Law Office of Joseph A. Corsmeier, P.A.
- Founder and president/owner of The Law Office of Joseph A. Corsmeier, P.A.
- Practices primarily in the areas of attorney disciplinary defense before the Florida Bar, attorney admission matters before the Florida Board of Bar Examiners, professional license and disciplinary matters before the boards of the state of Florida
- Provides expert analysis and opinions on ethics issues, legal malpractice, conflicts of interest, fees, attorney disqualification, and other matters and has testified as an expert in both federal and Florida courts
- Frequent speaker and has written numerous publications on topics including ethics and professionalism, law office management, fees, trust accounting, social media, technology, conflicts of interest, and other topics
- Holds the highest lawyer rating with Martindale-Hubbell and AVVO Law Directories; designated as a Super Lawyer
- Admitted to practice in all Florida courts, the Supreme Court of the United States, the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit, and the Middle District of Florida
- Member of the American Bar Association, the Association of Professional Responsibility Lawyers, and the Clearwater and St. Petersburg Bar Associations; served as director of the Clearwater Bar Association, 2004-2009, and president, 2009-2010
- Adjunct professor of paralegal ethics at St. Petersburg College
- J.D. degree, Mercer University, Walter F. George School of Law; B.A. degree, Florida State University
- Can be contacted at [email protected] or 727-799-1688
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.