Learn how to recognize unhealthy signs of stress.
So what is stress, exactly? Psychological stress is composed of the following sequence of elements: stimulus, thought, emotion, and behavior. The central nervous system perceives a dangerous situation (stimulus) and immediately begins to appraise it. Once we become aware of our thoughts, we make conscious judgments in other sensory forms which are external. As the central nervous system recognizes the dangerous situation we immediately begin to experience bodily responses. The internal and external appraisals combine to produce an emotion. The emotion pushes the body to react (behave) externally. This video reviews how thoughts and emotions are internal and subjective and changeable but if we can’t interrupt or change the stimulus which produces the stress, then we must change our appraisal of it.
Brian S. Quinn
Lawyers Concerned for Lawyers of PA
- Education and Outreach Coordinator for Lawyers Concerned for Lawyers of Pennsylvania, Inc., a Lawyer Assistance Program established to help lawyers, judges, and law students recover from alcoholism, drug addiction, and mental health disorders
- Member of the Pennsylvania and American Bar Associations
- Private practitioner for over 40 years, having litigated both civil and criminal matters during his career
- Worked in the field of alcohol and drug counseling in suburban Philadelphia, allowing him to gain both practical and clinical experience with individuals suffering from alcohol, substance use, and mental health disorders
- Has written articles and made presentations on many lawyer wellness topics to law firms, Bar Associations, professional organizations, and legal education providers on a state, national, and international level
- Licensed attorney in Pennsylvania
- J.D. degree and a certificate in drug and alcohol counseling, Villanova University
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.