Understand when your opportunity for appeal may be limited.
As attorneys know, in federal and state courts, there is the opportunity for an appeals court review. In arbitration the ability to appeal from an adverse ruling is very limited. In federal cases, by the Federal Arbitration Act (and almost every state has adopted a uniform arbitration act which is modeled after the federal act), if your arbitrator simply makes a mistake and applies the wrong law, you are simply out of luck. Your further recourse after getting that bad decision is going to be very limited. This video reviews the circumstance that a possible review and overturn of an arbitration award could be granted.
Howard S. Suskin
Jenner & Block LLP
- Partner in Jenner & Block LLP’s litigation department
- Substantial first-chair experience representing individuals and business entities in civil and criminal securities matters
- Co-chair of Jenner & Block LLP’s class action and securities litigation practices
- Members of the Leading Lawyers Network have consistently recognized his work in several areas, including class actions, commercial litigation, alternative dispute resolution, and securities and venture financing law
- Been named one of the Best Lawyers in America for commercial litigation
- Illinois Super Lawyer named him a Top 100 Illinois Super Lawyer eight times
- He is on the faculty of Practicing Law Institute; and has lectured extensively; instructed legal writing at the University of Michigan Law School; and has published numerous treatises and articles on issues relating to arbitrations, class actions and securities law, including serving as editor and co-writer of the West Publishing Illinois Civil Litigation Guide, Moore’s Federal Civil Motion Practice and Pretrial Civil Litigation, the Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education Treatise on Class Actions, and the ABA’s Annual Survey of State Class Action Litigation
- J.D. degree, with honors, University of Michigan Law School; graduate, with distinction, elected to Phi Beta Kappa, Northwestern University
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.