Commonly, structural systems are built 1.5 to 2 times stronger than expected to be needed by calculation – the factor of safety!
The average life span of typical buildings is 50 years, with more monumental buildings and structures are expected to last over 100 years. Highway design structures are trying to achieve at least 75 years. Design errors are the most likely cause of structural failure, closely followed by construction errors, but about 1 in 8 structural failures are due to poor maintenance. This video reviews how collapse is many times more likely during construction than after construction and discusses how most modern design involves more rigorous probabilistic justification of ultimate capacity relative to expected demands.
Daniel R. Cook, P.E., S.E.
Simpson Gumpertz & Heger Inc.
- Senior project manager in the Boston office of Simpson Gumpertz & Heger Inc
- Registered professional engineer in Massachusetts and others, and structural engineer in Illinois
- Experienced in structural investigation, litigation support, condition assessment, repair and rehabilitation of existing structures, new structural design, construction engineering, and demolition planning
- Secretary/treasurer of ASCE’s Construction Institute, and past chair of CI’s Boston Chapter
- Adjunct professor on temporary structures at Wentworth Institute of Technology (2016-2018) and guest lecturer at Lehigh University
- M.S. degree in structural engineering; B.S. degree in civil engineering; B.A. degree in architecture, Lehigh University
- Can be contacted at [email protected] or 617-963-5407
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.
More Program Information
Access to all training products $699/year
Unlimited Lorman Training
With the All-Access Pass there is no guessing what you will need for your yearly training budget. $699 will cover all of your training needs for an entire year!
Once you purchase your All-Access Pass you will never be any further than one-click away from attending any Lorman training course.
Invest in Yourself
You haven't gotten to where you are professionally by luck alone; it's taken a lot of hard work and training. Invest in yourself with the All-Access Pass.