Determine board focus and information needs.
It is important to have a stated goal for the organization and that the directors understand the mission of the organization. The directors should develop a strategy, with management, to carry out the mission. A board that develops strategy without consulting with management could result in a strategic plan that is completely unworkable.
Nixon Peabody LLP
- Counsel in the Rochester, NY office of Nixon Peabody LLP
- Represented organizations ranging from the very small to the very large on all matters relating to nonprofit governance and related issues; also worked with several organizations to guide them through IRS and regulatory audits; assisted numerous charities navigate the various rules regarding charitable solicitations in a market that necessitates the use of social media and electronic communications
- Conducts regular seminars and workshops on nonprofit governance, issues relating to tax-exempt status and charitable solicitations
- Member of the National Association of College and University Attorneys (NACUA) and a member of the Legal Resources Committee and is also involved with the Greater Rochester Association of Women Attorneys, previously serving as a board member as well as chair of their Media Committee and co-chair of the Program Committee; also a member of the American, New York State, and Monroe County bar associations
- Received numerous awards for her commitment to pro bono service; in 2003, she received the William E. McKnight Award from the Monroe County Bar Association; in 2005, she received the Legal Aid Society of New York City Pro Bono Award
- A recipient of Nixon Peabody’s Rodman Peabody Pro Bono Award, winning in 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2011 to 2015
- Selected by peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© 2019 in the field of Nonprofit/Charities Law and has been listed in Best Lawyers since 2017
- J.D. degree, summa cum laude, Syracuse University School of Law; M.P.A. degree, Maxwell School of Public Administration; B.A. degree in economics, St. John Fisher College
- Can be contacted at 585-263-1164 or [email protected]
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.