Does a contractor have a claim against the design professional? Answer – it depends.
Claims against design professionals are usually not only against the design professional but also the owner as typically, the design professional is the agent or representative of the owner. Why “it depends” if the contractor has a claim against a design professional is that it may be in tort and a non-contract claim due to the Spearin Doctrine, force majeure or a mutual mistake. Our speakers review potential claims against architects and engineers and discuss how a contractor can protect their rights.
Lloyd N. Shields
Shields | Mott LLP
- Managing Partner in the New Orleans law firm of Shields | Mott LLP
- Practice areas primarily include construction litigation, surety law, business, technical, products liability, copyright, trademark and patent cases, and alternative dispute resolution
- Represents clients in federal and state courts in judge trials and jury trials, on district and appellate levels, and in mediations and arbitrations
- Admitted to practice before all federal and state courts in Louisiana, various other federal courts, and the United States Supreme Court
- Written and lectured extensively on construction law, alternative dispute resolution and related topics to a variety of professional groups
- Handled hundreds of construction cases covering virtually every aspect of building construction and design
- Member of the Construction Arbitration Panel and Construction Mediation Panel of the American Arbitration Association, a member of the American Arbitration Association national board of directors, and of the Louisiana State and American Bar Associations
- Named a Super Lawyer in Louisiana Super Lawyers in the field of construction/surety
- M.Arch. and J.D. degrees, Tulane University
- Can be contacted at 504-581-4445 or [email protected]
Elizabeth L. Gordon
Shields | Mott LLP
- Partner at Shields | Mott LLP
- Concentrates in the practice areas of construction law and commercial litigation
- Experience representing owners, contractors, subcontractors and design professionals in all aspects of construction from construction contract negotiation and drafting, claim drafting and counseling during the construction and resolution of claims through the use of appropriate state or federal courts or before arbitration panels
- Handled these issues against private, local, state and federal agencies
- Handled state and public law lien claims and federal Miller Act claims
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.