Choosing a trademark is much more than just analyzing the legal availability.
Applicants should choose a mark that is distinctive, or capable of identifying the source of a particular good. In determining whether a mark is distinctive, courts have grouped marks into four categories, based on the relationship between the mark and the underlying product – arbitrary or fanciful, suggestive, descriptive, or generic. This video reviews these four types of marks; and discusses, due to marks varying in distinctiveness, the degree of legal protection afforded a particular trademark may vary categorically.
Cecilia R. Dickson
The Webb Law Firm
· Partner, The Webb Law Firm, IP focused boutique of 50+ IP lawyers located in Pittsburgh, PA
· 15+ years of trademark specific experience, including, international filing strategies, prosecution, portfolio management, enforcement litigation and licensing
· Former president of the Pennsylvania Bar Association IP Law Section, the Pittsburgh Intellectual Property Law Association and the Q. Todd Dickinson Inn of Court
· Graduate of Harvard Law School
Christopher P. Sherwin
The Webb Law Firm
· Senior associate, The Webb Law Firm, IP focused boutique of 50+ IP lawyers located in Pittsburgh, PA
· 7+ years of trademark specific experience, including, advising on international filing strategies, prosecution, portfolio management and enforcement
· Works with domestic and international independent inventors, small business, and large corporations to manage and protect their IP assets, including patents, trademarks, and copyrights
· Graduate of Penn State University and WVU Law School
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.
More Program Information
Access to all training products $699/year
Unlimited Lorman Training
With the All-Access Pass there is no guessing what you will need for your yearly training budget. $699 will cover all of your training needs for an entire year!
Once you purchase your All-Access Pass you will never be any further than one-click away from attending any Lorman training course.
Invest in Yourself
You haven't gotten to where you are professionally by luck alone; it's taken a lot of hard work and training. Invest in yourself with the All-Access Pass.