Learn the essentials of employment practices liability insurance to make sure you're covered.
This material will address the essentials of employment practices liability insurance (EPLI), both in terms of the essentials of a standard EPLI policy, as well as issues for advising employers on purchasing EPLI. This topic will cover the attributes of an EPLI policy, and the issues which companies should be aware of in assessing coverage and purchasing EPLI.
More Program Information
More Program Information
Gerald L. Maatman, , Jr.
Seyfarth Shaw LLP
- Partner of Seyfarth Shaw LLP and is resident in the firm’s Chicago and New York offices and is co-chair of the firm's class action practice group
- Has a primary emphasis in his practice on defending corporations sued in employment-related class action lawsuits and EEOC pattern or practice cases throughout the United States
- Among his various cases, he successfully defended one of the largest age discrimination class actions ever brought in the country, as well as the first sexual harassment class action brought by a State Attorney General in the United States; he has also defended the governments of France, India, and Spain in lawsuits brought in U.S. courts over their employment of American workers
- He pioneered the process of conducting employment practices audits to assist employers in structuring effective and practical personnel policies and protocols; these audits are designed to minimize the incidence of employment-related litigation and to maximize management discretion and workplace productivity; his work in this area has been profiled in the Wall Street Journal, Forbes, and Time Magazine
- Represents several leading employment practices liability insurance (EPLI) carriers and defends their employer insureds throughout the United States; he has also developed EPLI risk management programs for these carriers to assist their employer insured’s in reducing and minimizing workplace exposures
- He created an interactive web-enabled tutorial for one of the largest EPLI insurance carriers in the U.S., which provides Internet compliance training for management personnel on compliance with employment laws; Business Insurance Magazine selected the training tutorial for its “Best Of The Web” Award two years running
- He has served as a legal commentator on the Public Broadcasting System and USA Talk Radio, and his comments have appeared in such publications as the Wall Street Journal, The Economist, Business Insurance, USA Today, Fortune, HR Magazine, National Underwriter, Inside Counsel, Employee Relations Law Journal, and Forbes
- Also writes and lectures extensively on employment discrimination, class action, and labor law topics; he authors Seyfarth’s Annual Workplace Class Action Report, which has been called the “definitive source of information on employment class action litigation” by EPLiC Magazine and a resource that “no practitioner who deals with employment claims . . . should be without”
- He also edits the firm’s Workplace Class Action Blog, and has authored six books on employment law topics, and has spoken to employer groups throughout the United States, as well as in Asia, Europe, Canada, and Mexico
- Law 360 selected him as one of the top 5 employment lawyers in the United States in 2013, 2014, 2018 and 2019; likewise, Euromoney selected him as one of the leading employment lawyers in the world in 1999 to 2020; in addition, Corporate Counsel Magazine selected him as the leading employment class action defense lawyer in the U.S. in 2018-19; Chambers also selected him as one of the leading class action defense lawyers in its 2006 to 2020 rankings of U.S. lawyers; a fellow of the College of Labor & Employment Lawyers; finally, in 2014 and again in 2015, BTI Consulting selected him as one of the top 4 attorneys in the United States in terms of client service
- An adjunct professor of law in trial advocacy at Northwestern University School of Law, and has served as a guest lecturer in federal civil procedure at the University of Michigan School of Law
- B.A. degree, manga cum laude, Washington & Lee University J.D. degree, Northwestern University School of Law
Leonard S. Surdyk
Surdyk & Kachoyeanos
- Partner at Surdyk & Kachoyeanos
- Over 25 years’ experience in representing clients in complex commercial disputes
- Has extensive litigation and insurance coverage experience in directors and officers, employment practices liability, and insurance companies professional liability insurance matters as well as other professional liability and general liability matters; on the insurance coverage side, he has handled virtually every major professional liability coverage and bad faith issue
- Has been lead counsel in litigated coverage cases involving issues of late notice, claims made and reported, rescission, dishonesty exclusions, personal profit exclusions, employment-related exclusions, consent to settle, insured versus insured exclusions, other insurance clauses, allocation, definition of claim, uninsurability, cooperation clauses, statutory bad faith, common law bad faith, punitive damages, and various other policy clauses
- Has drafted policies and applications for directors and officers policies, employment practice policies, errors and omissions policies; media liability policies; food borne illness policies, and reinsurance treaties
- A frequent lecturer on trial practice issues, professional liability issues and insurance coverage topics and has been a guest speaker at conferences and seminars in various cities including Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, Las Vegas, Chicago, New York, Orlando, London, Zurich, Munich and Tokyo and has argued insurance coverage cases before the Fifth and Ninth Circuit Courts of Appeals
- Co-wrote The EPL Book: A Practical Guide To Employment Practices Liability And Insurance published in 1997; he is also co-editor of three text books published by the Professional Liability Underwriting Society in 1992 titled, Directors & Officers Liability Insurance, Professional Liability Insurance Non-Medical, and Professional Liability Insurance Medical
- Admitted to practice before the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, the United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit, the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, the United States District Court for the Northern District of California, the United States District Court for the Central District of Illinois, the United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan, the Illinois Supreme Court and is admitted in New York
- J.D. degree, magna cum laude, The University of Illinois College of Law at Champaign-Urbana; B.S. degree, magna cum laude, Loyola University of Chicago
More Program Information
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.
Access to all training products for one year
Unlimited Lorman Training
With the All-Access Pass there is no guessing what you will need for your yearly training budget. $699 will cover all of your training needs for an entire year!
Once you purchase your All-Access Pass you will never be any further than one-click away from attending any Lorman training course.
Invest in Yourself
You haven't gotten to where you are professionally by luck alone; it's taken a lot of hard work and training. Invest in yourself with the All-Access Pass.