Get practical tips and tricks for reading and understanding contracts when it's in lawyer language.
Participants in this unique program will learn techniques for reading and understanding contracts. Actual excerpts from real contracts will be discussed. We will focus on what contracts are and how they are formed, the most important elements of most contracts, and negotiation tips. Also discussed will be how various parts of a contract relate to each other and balance the protections in the contract.
Michael R. Overly
Foley & Lardner LLP
- Partner with Foley & Lardner LLP
- Focuses on drafting and negotiating technology-related agreements, software licenses, hardware acquisition, development, disaster recovery, outsourcing agreements, information security agreements, e-commerce agreements, and technology use policies
- One of the few practicing lawyers who has satisfied the rigorous requirements necessary to obtain the Certified Information System Auditor (CISA), Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP), Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP), Information Systems Security Management Professional (ISSMP), and Certified Risk and Information System Controls (CRISC) certifications
- The Legal 500 recognized him for his information technology work in the U.S., 2010–2014
- Selected for inclusion in the Southern California Super Lawyers® list and was honored by Los Angeles magazine for this recognition
- Recognized by Chambers USA for his IT and outsourcing work in 2013 and 2014
- Published numerous articles and books in the United States, Europe, Korea, and Japan
- Interviewed by a wide variety of print and broadcast media (e.g., The New York Times, Los Angeles Times, Business 2.0, Newsweek, ABCNEWS.com, CNN, and MSNBC) as a nationally recognized expert on technology and security-related matters
- Conducts seminars in the United States, Norway, Japan, and Malaysia and has testified before the U.S. Congress regarding online issues
- In 2014, his practice group was named one of the World’s Best Outsourcing Advisors by the International Association of Outsource Professionals
Charles Schwab & Co., Inc.
- Was appointed Vice President, Intellectual Property (IP), Licensing and Contracts at Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. in February 1998
- Over 20 years of experience in the intellectual property and technology practice areas
- His practice focuses on counseling clients regarding technology licensing, outsourcing, information security, electronic commerce, intellectual property, mergers and acquisitions due diligence, commercial transactions, and real estate
- Also responsible for Schwab's patent and open source programs and developed Schwab's formal patent risk assessment program, including enhancing Schwab's proactive approach to monitoring potential areas of IP risk
- Works closely with Schwab risk groups and management on risk issues, avoidance, and mitigation; he sits on the following committees and advisory groups at Schwab: the Information Security and Privacy Subcommittee and the Vendor Management Subcommittee
- Writes and speaks frequently on legal issues of doing business on the Internet, technology in the workplace and open source
- Participates in technology industry groups in the financial services industry
- Admitted to practice law in South Africa and California
- Member the Intellectual Property Law section of the American Bar Association and the Intellectual Property Law section of the California Bar
- J.S.M. (LL.M.) degree, Stanford University, School of Law; J.D. degree, UCLA School of Law
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.