Understand the California Privacy Rights Act to ensure protection for yourself and the residents of California.
If you are planning to do business in California, it is important to fully understand how consumer privacy is addressed to ensure your compliance. The CA Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) represents the first comprehensive consumer privacy law in the U.S. and is scheduled to be supplanted by the California Privacy Rights Act (CPRA) in January 2023. Although specific to California, its impact has already been felt throughout the U.S. as it applies to any business defined under the CCPA. The CPRA, like its predecessor, will be subject to wide discretion in interpretation, and it remains to be seen how the law will be enforced. This topic helps those responsible for compliance with the CCPA to migrate their duties to compliance under the CPRA by understanding its purpose and objectives, what rights it aims to preserve, what duties and obligations businesses must comply with, and possible penalties for noncompliance. Areas of concern or confusion will be identified, and reasonable interpretation or solutions will be provided.
Edward L. Murphree, JD, PhD
Seyfarth Shaw LLP
- Current Senior Risk and Compliance Engineer at Wilson, Sonsini, Goodrich and Rosati (WSGR)
- Prior Senior Counsel at PandaDoc and Counsel at Seyfarth Shaw, LLP - both with practice focus areas of privacy, security, and technology
- Author of several publications related to the areas of privacy and areas impacted by privacy law
- CIPP/US/G/EU, CIPM, and CDPSE - privacy related certifications; past chair of the CIPP/G government sector Examination Development Board
- Adjunct professor in areas of privacy and cyber-security law and policy
- J.D. degree, St. Mary’s University School of Law; Ph.D. degree in engineering management, with a core emphasis in information security, The George Washington University
- Can be contacted at [email protected]
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.