Understand the common causes of concrete imperfection and how to minimize or prevent them.
It is to the credit of concrete that so few complaints are received on the vast amount of construction put in place. While it is easy to determine the properties of the hardened concrete that will be suitable for the intended purpose, great care is required throughout the entire construction process to ensure that the hardened concrete has the desired properties. When a blemish appears on the surface of a concrete slab, it will likely be one of these: dusting, scaling, crazing, cracking, plastic shrinkage cracks, thermal cracking, blisters, discoloration, aggregate popouts, alkali-aggregate reactions, and deicers. These deficiencies, caused by specific factors explained in this information, can be minimized or prevented by adhering to proper construction methods.
Kenneth M. Justice, P.E.
National Ready Mixed Concrete Association
- Senior director of local paving for the NRMCA, promoting the use of ready mixed concrete for parking lots and related flat work
- Promotes the use of soil cement and full-depth reclamation (FDR) of pavements with cement
- Works closely with A/E firms, municipal and agency officials, contractors, ready mixed concrete producers, and industry personnel
- Formerly the promotion director for New Jersey and Delaware with the Portland Cement Association Northeast
- More than 25 years of experience as a civil engineer and engineering project manager, most recently for AECOM, one of the largest consulting engineering firms in the country
- Specialized in the design and construction administration of runways, taxiways, aircraft parking aprons, and vehicular parking lots, as well as other related civil engineering applications such as roads, storm drainage, erosion control planning, and environmental planning
- Registered professional engineer in North Carolina, New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania
- LEED® accredited professional since 2006
- M.A. degree in civil engineering, North Carolina State University; B.S. degree in civil engineering, Villanova University
All of your training, right here at Lorman.
Pay once and get a full year of unlimited training in any format, any time!
- Live Webinars
- OnDemand Webinars
- MP3 Downloads
- Course Manuals
- Audio Recordings*
- Executive Reports
- White Papers and Articles
- Sponsored Live Webinars
Additional benefits include:
- State Specific Credit Tracker
- Members Only Newsletter
- All-Access Pass Course Concierge
* For audio recordings you only pay shipping
Questions? Call 877-296-2169 to speak with a real person.